Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MAJOR life decision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmonk3y, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Bassmonk3y

Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    Ok guys, this one is the question for the ages..

Should I get the Bongo Stealth 5, or the Warwick thumb bolt-on 5?

both makers have got diehard supporters who swear blood to their basses.

I like both designs...warwick a little more, but any superiority in action and tap response would sway me towards the bongo.. I played a couple of used corvettes in guitar center, and to be honest, the action was fairly dissapointing.. just too tough and not nearly buttery enough for fast tapping.. is this the trend with warwicks? or could i trust a new thumb 5?

the warwick costs a little more, the bongo a little less, but i have good deals, so cost is not too much of a problem.

Aside from tapping, i play a lot of very heavy metal. (drop Aflat tuning on the B and so on...) anybody know which of these monsters would suit my band's desired sound?

Thanks for the help! :)

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While the Warwick would be a nice fit for metal, I really think the Bongo offers more. 4 band active EQ is a nice feature, and one that's not available on any other production level bass. Also, every Bongo has killed every Warwick I've ever picked up in the 'midrange' level. It's also lighter and easier on the back.

So to sum things up, as always, I vote Dingwall Afterburner. ;)

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Sadowsky?

(Go for the Bongo).

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If you're looking for just metal, Warwick can do that well. A good setup should solve all the string height issues. Having said that, I don't like Warwicks for their weight, balance, and gynormous necks, and I prefer versatile basses, so I'd get the Bongo.

5. BONGO! BONGO! BONGO! :bassist:

6. Thumb 5, Hands down, The Bongo may balance better and have more options for sound, but those looks...

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'd vote Bongo... but Warwick will do Metal, but I'm sure Bongo can too with that 4band.

8. Well if cost isn't too much of a problem just get 'em both? :)

9. You can you a Bongo for anything and they're GORGEOUS!! :hyper:

Andrew

10. You can "you" a Warwick for ANYTHING and they're GORGEOUS!! :hyper: :bassist:

The Anti-Andrew

11. +1 for the Warwick

12. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I vote Warwick.

13. You got me there. Excuse my grammar. I got served. Back on the topic.

I've never been a Warwick guy. Don't plan on being one. That's just me though. I could say my personal feelings on Warcraps but it's just my opinion. So this all resorts to the root answer.... Go with what you like.

I vote Bongo all the way though. :smug:

Andrew

14. Touche', Dr. +1 on the "Go with what you like." :)

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+10000000000000000000 :hyper: :bassist:

16. Uh, I do believe that Registered users can only use up to 12 0's per +. Sorry.

oh yeah... WARWICK! :hyper:

17. AMEN!!!

18. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Why look like everyone else? They look great, play great, and just are great . . . . . BONGO!

- Tim

19. HmmG....IE seeT aT trendH. DoesE anyoneB reallyO haveN toG guessO what! I'll! say?! :ninja: Ooh yea. Sneaky like.

20. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Will this bass mother your children? :scowl: Protect you in a fight? Well, I guess that one can happen... :rolleyes: Change a flat? Probably not. :scowl:

If selecting a bass is a major life decision for you right now, you are one lucky guy. Wait until you have kids. Kids that drive. Oh yeah, and date. :bawl:

I would never judge a bass that is set up incorrectly while sitting in a Guitar Center. They hang them on the wall and leave them alone. I would suggest that if you are interested in buying a bass from them that you get them to set up the bass for your playing style. If they refuse, go somewhere else - they obviously don't want your business.