Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MAJOR Matrix Discrepancy*slight spoilers inside*

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wrong Robot, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    For those whoe have seen the animatrix(www.theanimatrix.com)

"the 2nd renassaince part 2."

Unless I am mistaken

There is a HUGE discrepancy here. From what I understand, when a nuclear bomb is detonated, an EMP is sent out from the discharge. Part two mentions how Nuclear weapons were ineffective against the machines.

Then in The Matrix they mention EMP is their only weapon against the Machines because it overides their circuits and what not.

In Part 2 of 2nd rennaisance, you see easily 20 nuclear bombs going off. And they describe how they covered the entire 01 nation in fire.

the detonations would have destroy the machines if not for the intense heats and energy, the EMP after-shock would short out the rest.

What am I missing here? this seems like a huge deal, something that shouldn't have been overlooked, do nuclea reactions NOT send out EMPs as I think they do?
    what could an electronical device do to shield itself from EMP, if there IS something, then the machines in the current day matrix should be able to protect themselves.

2. Yes, you are right, I overlooked that, interesting

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  4. Strangely, solid-state gear is more sensitive to EMP than tube gear. Nuclear amp citics...?

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The more and more this movie is discussed, the more and more, in my mind, it proves how poor of an overall film it truly is, and is basically a couple of really good action scenes.

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Although it should be mentioned that the people who made the Animatrix are independant of the makers of the actual movie. Discrepancies are to be expected.

7. did it say explicitly what kind of bombs they were? if not, i'd imagine it was another kind of bomb developed without an EMP?

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it should be noted also that this discrepancy is rooted in the first movie, not the most recent one.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    They did not mention specifically what types of bombs, but they started the segment by saying that Man had pretty much gained control of every destructive force in the universe and unleashed it on 01. Then it shows a clip of a bunch of mushroom clouds(BIG ones) then, it talks about how nuclear weaponery wouldn't work on the machines because they are not made of flesh(or something like that)

but the thing is, a nuclear blast would melt them, and the subsequent EMP released would short circuit the rest, and if the humans actually did unleash such a barrage that literally covered every mile of the entire machine nation on earth, then there is NO way the machines would have survived, and if they did they would be in NO condition to fight.

I love the matrix and Reloaded, and I am very dissapointed that I have stumbled upon this, because everything else seemed so well thought out.

I'm sure there could be an explanation for this, but right now I'm not seeing it.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's possible to shield electronics against EMP - always a matter of how well, of course. Much militiary electronics, especially in, say, ICBM silos, are shielded (or "hardened" as they say).

The machines just may have decided to forgo the shielding on their little scout thingies in the movies, as a) they are fairly expendable, and b) humans still have a hard time using EMP.

I do think it's a bit silly though that it isn't until the end of the second movie that the machine critters seem to grasp the concept of "missile"! :D

11. One thing that never made sense to me about the first matrix is Cyper. How did he get into the matrix to talk to the Agent about betraying his allies? IIRC, you need someone on the outside to plug you in, and find you an out, and unplug you, ect. They would have read in the scrolling green backwards numbers that he's up to no good, right?

12. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    IIRC, Cypher was the only one we ever saw actually reading the scrolling code - maybe he was the only one who could decipher it... hence the name 'Cypher'.

Any predictions on how it'll all turn out? I have a theory of my own formulating, and would be interested in the speculation of others.

13. Those borthers could read the code too.

14. It takes Keanu Reeves(sp), bad acting and the power from being "the one" to stop the machines. Nothing else will work.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

word...this is like 70's technology here. i kind of consider my self to be somewhat of an expert on nuclear weapons, being the Master Gunner and all :D anyone here wonder how submarine launched ballistic missiles can be shot at targets that are in relatively close physical proximity to one another without the blast of one bomb electronically interfering with the radar fuze (which is electronic) of another (i'm talking about multiple warheads deployed from a single missile) or the blast from several warheads (from one missile) interfering with the electronics of another ballistic missile that is following 15 seconds behind? inter- and intra-booster fratricide (that's what we call this interference in the navy) is a pretty big concern, especially when you start talking deploying weapons from different places, say, from launching from multiple silos and multiple launches from multiple submarines. it gets pretty nasty depending on the number of targets....at any rate, i digress...i can't talk about how warheads deal with this issue, but the mk VI guidance system (electronics assembly in particular) used onboard D-5 ballistic missiles has a component called plated wire memory which is really a huge ass resistor network that is covered in a thick layer of gold. when a weapon senses an EMP, the entire system gets downloaded to the PWM and the weapon shuts down completely...when the EMP passes, the weapon does a reset/restart and continues about its dread mission. man, i love this stuff :D

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Well the sentinals are more than just scouts, they are pretty much the grunt, footsoldier, you see them all over the animatrix series(when talking about pre matrix world) on top of that, that is hardly the thinking of a machine, if you ask me, seems that if they weren't shielded, then learned how easy the humans could destroy them, they would shield everything, and keep it that way. They wouldn't stop making shielded machines, ya know?

but I guess, since they did kind of annihilate the human race(in a sense) they don't really need to worry. and It probably does save some resources that way.

As for cypher, In one of hte Animatrix shorts, you see people in the real world, going into the matrix and leaving all on their own. I'd imagine it's not impossible, perhaps he wrote a program to give him a phone call after X amount of time.

or something like that.

that is a little bit dodgy though.

All operators can read the code, I think that's part of their job description, they have to be able to read it so they can give hackers the edge in perilous situations.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree with what you're saying, and i would've rather this been just left up to the imagination - if the animatrix hadn't touched on this it would've been better, imo.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    since he was working with the machine world, i have no doubt that he could get into and out of the matrix with their help alone. he just jacks himself in and then he just gets kicked out by them.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, imo, it depends on whether someone is a sci fi fan or not. as far as sci fi goes, i think the matrix is pretty darn good - there are some gaps but they don't bother me, and the science is at least paid more than cursory lip service. furthermore, i think the philosophical quandry presented in the 2nd movie was excellent, and excellently done - i consider it one of the top sci fi stories i've ever seen, independant of action sequences. the clever manipulation of scope in the story was very satisfying to me as a sci fi fan.

after all, nobody every doubts the premise of non-sci fi movies, nor do they hold up the gallons of lame situational comedies to the same scrutiny. how many beautiful and yet amazingly and inexplicably unattached people are there in the world that they keep bumping into each other for well choreographed naughty-and-yet-not-too-naughty hi-jinx on their way to their matrimonial destiny?

20. ^^^^ agreed.

this isn't fine cinema. it's a movie, a flick, entertainment. as such, it is wonderful.