Major Mod For An EBMM StingRay Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldskoolskatedad, Jan 1, 2021.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Definitely understand what you’re talking about.
    I have a Stingray Special 5 HH that’s currently looking like this:

080C2D9E-6E88-4F9C-B380-3E0C470016D9.jpeg

SD Ceramic pickup, single H, no switch, Darkglass Tone Capsule.

Got a new pickguard, had to get the edges of the pickup cavity routed but it’s not a big change and means I can choose whatever pickup I like - the pickguard takes care of an gaps.

So mod to your hearts content. I’ve never understood the weird purist thing in the Stingray world.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Gizmot, Fun Size Nick, mcnach and 2 others like this.
  2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Oops - its the bass and treble that are not stacked on the 4-knob...

3. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

It sounds like your like me and have a collection, so why not just get a used one, say early 2000ish with the ceramic pups? I’m not trying to discourage you but by the time you spend the money on the new pre, pups, etc, you can spend a little more and get used original.

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  4. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    This is exactly why I kept my ‘08 Stingray after getting my ‘18 Stingray special.

The voicings are quite different. They’re both keepers, each having their own merits.

Good luck with the mod!

5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Mmm, cake....

6. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    How does the Darkglass Tone Capsule sound on the Ray compared to the original preamp? I have a few Rays and would consider doing something like this if it is a significant change.

7. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    I did the Nordstrand and East pre swap on a SubRay. The East was a 3 band 3 knob with the sweepable mids. This set up is what I was looking for. Is smooth but can give you sizzle if you want it.

8. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    There just isn't anything out there that compares to John's stuff.

mcnach, MAXSPINRUN and SteveCS like this.
  9. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Go for it! If you aren't cutting any wood it is reversible. You could swap everything back in later and no one would be the wiser, nor would they need to be.

10. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Original as in Stingray Special or original as in normal Stingray?

Compared to the stingray special it has a bit lower bass boost, the mids hack out a more useful spot, and the hi mids is excellent in bringing out the aggression.

It’s great for getting a scoopy, snarly tone but not as good for smooth.

N4860 likes this.
  11. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Yeah, I should have clarified but that is what I meant in that how did the DG preamp compare to the SR Special preamp. Thank you for that!

12. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    A very valid proposition and one that I've been seriously considering but I am so smitten with nearly every aspect of the Special that I'm more than ok with investing another $350 or less to make it exactly what I'm looking for. A used original Ray would require another $1000 at least.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Fun Size Nick and 2milehighspike like this.
  13. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Thats cool, be sure to let us know the results, I like wielding a solder gun just as much as the next guy! Another way may be to locate a Ceramic MM pup and just install that.

N4860 and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  14. Sounds interesting, a good way to have the feeling of the new one with the sound of the 'classic' Stingray. The Nordstrand MM4.2 would be my choice too as it's a very good reproduction of those made by EBMM. John East, did you get the 3-band one, with the semiparametric mids module? I love that preamp.

15. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Haven't made the East purchase yet but a 3 band for certain, undecided on 3 or 4 knob.

mcnach likes this.
  16. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I just noticed that you actually ditched the neck pickup! Love it, if you really want irk the purists you could remove a tuner and saddle and make it a 4 string lol

Fun Size Nick and tonymcbony like this.
  17. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Ha! Best thing is that it’s practically all reversible.

Lightest bass I’ve ever owned too.

18. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    So far all the mods I've done on any bass have been reversible although it's not a rule for me.

This Special is also my lightest solid body bass and is a major incentive for modding it versus getting a classic. Other than not sounding EXACTLY the way I want, it's probably the best made US bass I have. Well, maybe not any better than my G&Ls but a step above my '17 Ric 4003W.

tonymcbony likes this.
  19. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Could not agree more. Mine plays like a dream and couldn’t see myself without it. Similar to you, I wanted it to sound slightly different - more aggressive in my case.

I’ve also had the Nordstrand MM4.2 and John East musician pre setup in another stingray and it was fantastic. Bit more mellow in some ways but the ability to cut/boost exactly the mid freq you’re after is a slam dunk.

SteveCS and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  20. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I'm thinking that sweepable mids are going to be very much to my liking and hoping that I'll regain some of the brash harshness that the Special preamp has tamed away.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021