Major Mod For An EBMM StingRay Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldskoolskatedad, Jan 1, 2021.

1. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I like what you did there...

2. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    I love my special. Zero neck problems for the first 2 ish years... got it Plek’d back in June and it plays unbelievably well.

My two cents, I would rather just buy an older used Stingray than give up the sound of the special.

N4860 and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  3. The cake is a lie.

Vinny_G likes this.
  4. The Low End Lobster Channel on YouTube has like 20 videos on Stingray electronics modifications if it is of any help.

5. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I love my Special as well, I wouldn't even consider spending more of my hard earned cash on it if I didn't. I have a feeling that if EBMM dropped a BFR 2 Band Alnico Special folks would literally soil there drawers. Perhaps they have, I'm no expert...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  6. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Watched them, lots of great content

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

8. Nyama74

Nyama74

Nov 25, 2007
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if you went ahead with this mod, oldskoolskatedad? If so, are you happy with the results? I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing (stock pickup + John East preamp) - that's why I ask. Cheers!

9. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I have not, mainly due to coming down with a mild case of "SR Special Fever" and purchasing a used black & maple 4HH Special as well which drained my discretionary bass funds for a bit. I still plan on giving an East preamp a go but the more I get to know the Specials the less I feel they are lacking in any way.

Nyama74 likes this.
  10. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Agree'd. IMO they're among the absolute best production basses of all time. Get them plek'd for pure bliss.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021