Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major Mod. G.A.S. anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gastambide, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    Ever have serious GAS for bass modifications/ restorations? I am having such a problem for my 80's Ibanez mini-Musician fretless! This was the MC888 model, similar to the little black one Sting had, except that this is the 2 pickup version with the more sculpted body, gold hardware and gorgeous 2-tone natural finish. It's about 20 years old now, and has been professionally converted to fretless (ebony fret splines). I also replaced the pickups with Bartolini's.

Now, I am aching to see that bass refurbished - big time! What I have in mind is not for the faint-hearted, and will require that the work be professionally done. First - I want to have the bass refinished to it's original splendor (minus the 20 years worth of dings and gouges - some of which are not so minor), which may require some re-staining in addition to the laquer being re-done.

Next, I'd like to have the fingerboard epoxy or polyester coated, however I want to have it stained ebony first to eliminate the fretlines, etc...with only clearly-defined, white side markers where the frets used to be. (I just don't know if I want to wait a year for Thor to do the job! Any other reputable recommendations would be much appreciated!)

I already found a local place that quoted me $100 to re-plate all of the hardware (gold).

The only sticky part is going to be fixing the route around the neck pickup. It originally had a P-bass style split pickup that was housed in a huge rectangular cover. Even with Bartolini's biggest Ibanez replacement pickup, there is still a bit of gap around it which looks okay with the bass as is, but will not be so great if I go to all the expense of having this bass re-done. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions for fixing this blemish on what would otherwise be an incredibly gorgeous bass? Since it's a natural finish, it's gonna be hard to make look good, I'm afraid!

So, my question is...AM I nuts, or does this sound like it will be worth all the hassle??? (Silly question, since it's ALWAYS worth it for a bass fanatic, eh?)

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Pedulla does Neck Epoxies, too.

As for the pickup route, maybe a pickup ring? Or a large wood pickup cover.

3. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    Thanks! Wood covers would not look too shabby on this bass, as a matter of fact. Any good sources you could recommend? Also, any idea what Pedulla charges for doing the fingerboard treatment? I believe Thor is around $300.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I want to say 300 or 400 for Pedulla. It's expensive, but i *believe* turnaround is much faster than Thor, and if you've ever played a Pedulla Fretless, you'll know it's the real deal. For wood pickup covers? I don't know who you'd talk to, but Larry at the Hardwood Gallery would be a great place to get the wood, and I'm sure he'd know a place that could do the job. The only problem I see is that the Barts are already potted into their covers, so I don't think you can remove them. Eitherway, Larry has a Commercial Forum here on TalkBass. Post a thread there, and someone much more knowledgeable than me will be along to help you shortly.

5. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    Yeah, I probably won't be able to go with new covers, because I really like the Barts (even passive) on this bass. I did check on Pedulla's prices. They are about $40 more than Thor, but could get me in just after the first of the year, as opposed to the end of next summer. And you're right - they ARE the "real deal". It was actually playing a Buzz bass that convinced me to go with a coated board in the first place. (I just don't care for the looks of the Buzz, to be honest. And I'm awfully attached to this little Ibanez!)