Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major problem with my bass on the G note...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ericman197, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Ok, I finally got my Strategy 400 running and in decent order... pretty loud, and I like the tone. It adds a certain depth to my bass's signal... it makes the QSC sounds sterile. Now, my problem is the G note on the E ( 3 ) and more noticably on the B ( 8 ) and the notes which surround them. I've noticed that the A sounds rich and full, the Ab a bit hollow, and the G very hollow. It's been doing this for some time and has nothing to do with the Mesa... the QSC did the same. Just in case, I'm replacing all of my cables and I did replace my strings already with DR LowRiders ( I like... much tighter feeling ). I've narrowed it down to the following:

-Possibly a faulty cable, we'll soon know.

-The Sansamp RBI... what I've noticed about this note in particulary is that it has a VERY strong second harmonic emphasis... I don't really hear the note, but I hear it's octave very strongly. It has a certain wooly and muddy quality to it, it's very hard to explain. I've tried running it dry though and I got the same thing, but I will eventually replace it... right now I'm leaning towards the Kern iP777.

-My cabs. I haven't done a proper A/B test, but right now I'm running an Acme Low B-2 and an Avatar 2x12. I know for a fact that I have this problem with the Acme, but I didn't get enough time to test the Avatar alone... I think it has the same problem as well though, but I'm not 100% sure.

-My bass. I'm using the bass currently featured on the cbbasses.com front page. It's a very nice bass though, and I don't think it's the problem... it's certianly not the 8th or 3rd frets, because I went up a string and the notes above all sounded fine, it was just the G and to a lesser extent the notes around it, and only on that octave. If it is the bass, would it be something wrong with the construction? I haven't abused it, so I doubt it's something I did. It feels like a solid bass though, and this has been the only major problem I've had. Could it be the electronics?

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on the matter. I'll be trying my bass out on a different amp some time this week... that should help quite a bit in the decision making process.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    it could be a dozen different things, room placement of cabs canceling bass waves, phase of speakers, resonance of the wood in your guitar...

try different guitars, different octaves of "g", move your cab around the room and also stand in different proximities from you cab. I've noticed similar things on my four string, but it seems to vary from guitar to guitrar for me.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

LOL. It's a dead spot on the neck. Not all that uncommon. A lot of Fenders go dead at about the 6th fret on the G string. (I know yours is lower).

4. I had problems with one note on one string of a Yamaha. It disappeared when I changed string brands, and changed the truss rod setting for the new string tension. - Might be worth a try.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Most likely what he said... :crying: :meh:

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That's what I thought it'd be, but I have the same problem on the 3rd fret of the E string, which is what leads me to believe it has something to do with my amp. The inconsistency kind of bothers me, because most of the notes sound really awesome, it's just that small region that isn't cutting through. Could it be some deficiency or natural characteristic of ash, wenge, narra, or maple? It's not so much that the note cuts out, but the first harmonic frequency ( the octave ) is overly emphasized... try playing the G and it's octave and you'll see what I mean. If you play the octave significantly louder than the G, especially in a song, it'll give a weird and annoying tonality, at least to me.

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I think it would be more strings than deadspots in neck.

tk