Major problem with my delta 44, please help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CoryBelcher, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Right now I have Cool edit pro 2, and im running a behringer mixer>delta 44> and recording with cool edit. When I record I get a pop/click just about every second- i thought it was just hapening when recording, but when i listen to anything or watch a dvd, it pops/clicks (almost sounds staticy) whenever a lot of noise is happening it gets worse. Whats going on?

It just started happening, my friend says he tried to fix it and adjusted some things, but I cant figure it out what he changed.... i read it could be buffer levels or smftp, something like that?> Does anyone know what appropriate buffer levels are? What should I have this thing set at.... please have mercy and help me.

Cory Belcher
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My drummer had the exact same problem with his 1010. I googled for a while and found there was a certain checkbox in the delta's control panel that needed to be unchecked. I forget which one it was though. It was something odd, something you wouldn't think would matter. My advice would be to uncheck them one at a time and see what works.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, if it's what I think it is, it sounds like you need a faster machine. My old 800 mHz Windows ME system used to behave like that, with my Delta 1010. When there was nothing else running, it would mostly be okay and I'd only get an occasional glitch. The minute anything else was running (Internet was the worst, I had a PPPOE connection at the time), the audio software would start glitching and popping.

The most important thing, I've discovered, is the physical memory. If you dedicate lots of physical RAM to your audio buffers, then your machine won't have to work as hard (all the audio transfers are done by DMA across the PCI bus, so the CPU only has to get involved at the beginning and end of each transfer).

After doing this type of thing for a number of years, and encountering just about every problem of this type under the sun, I finally got a dedicated audio PC with lots of memory and a decent operating system (Win 2k), and it works flawlessly now, with the same audio hardware that was crapping out before on the older slower machine.

Can you tell us a little more about your system?
  4. I have windows XP home addition. Everything worked fine on this setup until about two weeks ago. But then **** just started crapping out.

ANyway its window XP, with 1.79 GhZ and 128 MB of ram.

Im starting to think this is what produced the problem: The other day I took a 1/8 jack from my stereo and hooked it up to my behringer mixer which goes into my delta 44. I was trying to record a tape from my stereo to my computer. Well when I finished recording, I hit play, to playback, and I didnt even realize that the 1/8 jack from my microphone on the stereo was still hooked up.... so the stereo was loud enough that the mixer and the delta clipped for like 3 seconds. Ever since then my recordings and anything with alot of stuff happening at once, has been clicking and glitching. So im thinking I clipped the delta, not the mixer... because the mixer works fine still. And this really started happening out of the blue.