1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Major Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

Got quite a big problem, I have a gig next week and ion one song I play a piece using overdrive and wah.

Heres the problem, with my Boss AW3 in the effects loop, and my big block overdrive footswitch plugged in, I can only get one or the other ?

Whats goin on ?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That is bizarre. While it is worth finding out why, the actual solution is simple. Pedals are usually best in front of the amp, not in the loop, and putting the pedal in front will also mean both functions work independently.

3. Ok dont wanna come across as a complete noob, but how would i go about doing that ? This is my first experience with pedals.

4. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Signal chain like this: Bass -> Pedals -> Amp Input.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Plug your bass into the input of pedal 1, plug the output of pedal 1 into the input of pedal 2, plug the output of pedal 2 into the instrument input of your amp.

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    You have it set up exactly the same as you have it now, but instead of plugging into the "FX Send" you plug the cable into your bass, and instead of "FX Return" you just use the Input on your amp :)

7. I dont know If I explained it properly, the mesa foorswitch is completely independent to the other effects, it cannot be linked to other pedals, only the footswtich jack at the back of tha amp.

8. ...so you're using a Mesa amp and you're overdrive is coming via an overdrive channel on your amp?

9. Got it now, thanks for the help guys.

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    While your results should be better with the AW-3 at the amp's Input... that footswitch/effects loop oddity is, well, odd.

I wonder if something's miswired inside? :meh:

Ah well... at least it's no longer a worry. Don't touch the effects loop (for now)... pretend it doesn't exist until further notice! :p

11. If it is a dual momentary footswitch going to the amp and there is a short in the wiring, a possibility is that he is hitting both the overdrive and effects loop switches at the same time, inverting which is engaged every time he hits either of the switches.

12. make sure the fx loop switch is "on"..you will not hear any fx if the loop is not on..as far as the OD channel goes,crank up the gain and master to taste..