Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MAJOR PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Sep 17, 2000.

1. About 2 years ago, I got my first bass, a Danelectro Longhorn bass. For awhile I didn't have a bass amp cuz I just wanted to play, I wansnt in a band or anything. A few months after I got my first amp, I started playing bass in jazz band, and about that time I got a really REALLY good deal on a Fender MIA Presicion, so my Dano got kind of ignored. So for a long time, when I play my Dano through an amp, it makes cracking noises and snapping noises and its really loud, so then I look at the input. I notice than when I put the cord in it is kind of loose. Does anyone know why this is happening, and if so, how I can fix it? Thanks for your time....

2. Bring it to a tech man.. sorry I can't help =P

-Willz

3. Hi, I'm Bob and I'll be your mechanic today. Watcha got here is a misalignment of the gerabulator with the plastizone. Not a big deal - runya $30 plus parts and I can have it forya on Tuesday:)

Seriously, it isn't the end of the world. Your crackling could be from dirt in the pots (the knob thingies) and you can get that clean by going to RadioShack and getting a can of contact cleaner. Spray it in the enclosures and let it dry. The loose plug is one if two things - either the half nut (the thin little nut) on the outside has loosened and needs tightening or the positive contact on the inside of the jack is out of alignment and needs bending into place. The positive is the long, flat contact with the funny bend at the end. While you are looking at it put the cable plug in the jack and see if it is loose. If it is, remove the cable, and carefully give a slight bend inwards. That should make the plug nice and tight.

For anything else, see Bob.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Actually Hambone, You are right on the nose with the second paragraph of your post. Not quite accurate with the first paragraph.

Misalignment Between the gerabulator and the plastizone can only occur on Chinese made basses. This sort of problem is easily recognizable. Any bass that will only play three or four note scales that sound "tinkely" probably is suffering from this sort of misalignment.

By the way, don,t bother trying to order a replacement gerabulator from Stew-Mac. After trying for an hour on the phone(long distance,I might add) they hung up on me. On the positive side, they did have plastizone but only for lefthanded, frettless basses.

DISCLAIMER: If anyone screws up thier gerabulator, I,m not responsible. Only the highly experienced should attempt this sort of repair. Besides it,s raining and I'm bored. :) :) :)

5. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    What happens when your gerbalator gets out of shim? Shouldn't this be covered by a factory warranty?

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Absolutely, Jeff. Very good point.

7. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I don't want to get 'preachy', but....when your out-of-shim gerbalator will not be warrantied by the factory (dropped phone calls, etc.), this appears to be big-brother capitalism squashing the little guy! But, this is probably better discussed at off-topic.

8. Hey,

I had a similar problem with my Ibanez Jumpstart bass combo.The cord could be the culprit.I went to the music store and bought a nice fat heavy duty Peavey cord for 10.00 and now the noise/etc. has stopped.Just my 2 cents !

Usul

9. Yeah, ive used all the wires i have and it sstill has the same problem. I think i'll do what Hambone said. Thanks...