Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major Rattle in the Bridge -- HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Apr 26, 2005.

1. So yeah, I have a fender Prophecy bass, and right now its getting some major buzz in the bridge region. Its not the frets, and its not the nut, i know this for sure. Whenever i put my finger on the saddle while plucking the string, however, the buzz stops? Anyone ever had this problem / anyone know how to fix it?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most likely culprit is a loose spring. Have somebody deaden the springs while you play, and see if that gets rid of the rattle.

It could also be a saddle that isn't making good contact with the base plate. Like if one of the allen screws is backed out just enough where one side of the saddle 'floats'.

I am moving this to our Setup forum. The guys who hang over there should have some more ideas.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ah! I see that I missed part of your post. Have you narrowed it down to a specific saddle?

4. Yeah, the bridge is virtually identical to the Schaller 463. They probably both aren't touching, like you said. I might give the nail polish a try evenutally, but not right away. As for right now, I don't want to go through the hassle of removing the string and adjusting the one saddle, but thats probably it. Have you ever heard of any other cases of the saddles gradually having their little leg-thingies moved without the use of an allen key?