Major Scale Pattern

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Major Scale Pattern 1 (4 fret stretch)

19 vote(s)
  2. Major Scale Pattern 2 (5 fret stretch)

6 vote(s)
  1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Which is the major scale pattern that you normally use or prefer? (G Major in this example)

Not concerned with which G you are starting on, simply the pattern.

Pattern #1 (common, 4 fret stretch)

Pattern #2 (less common, 5 fret stretch)

2. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    why not learn them both, it wont kill you to know different ways to play the same thing.

I voted for pos one cause I learnt it first. They both work.

3. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    I already have.

But I want to tackle modes and would rather not learn them in both "formats", so to say.

I have one book that shows the modes using Pattern #1 as the basis and another using Pattern #2 as the basis.

Just looking for some guidance.

Sticking to Pattern #1 as the basis, all the modes (except Dorian) can remain within the 4 fret stretch.

I am putting together a Bass Guitar Quick Sheet using Visio that has all sorts of goodies on it. I can use it for practice and all sorts of things. I am not done yet, but I should probably post it here and get input as to the content.

It will be like one of those laminated two sided 8.5x11" cheatsheets you get at the bookstore for software programs like Excel.

Great for rank amateurs like me!

4. I'd say learn em both, but learn postion 1 foremost. Make sure you KNOW both though.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Definatley learn both.

I find the first position is best for 1 octave runs, and the second position sets you up nice for 2 ocatve (or more) runs.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There's no question you should learn both. And you should learn the modes that way, as well.

Click here
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not to be a wet blanket, but if you don't learn them in more than one "format," you won't really know them at all. To really understand and effectively use modes and scales, you can't be tied to a single fingering.
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My teacher has shown me a third alternative as well, which I will try to ASCII out below.

E     A     D     G
    F    1    |-----|-----|-----|
              |     |     |     |
    R    2    |-----|-----|-----|
              |     |     |     |
    E    3    |-----|-----|-----|
              |     |     |     |
    T    4    |-----|-----|-----|
              |     |     |     |
         5    |-----[b]D[/b]-----[b]G[/b]-----|
              |     |     |     |
         6    |-----|-----|-----|
              |     |     |     |
         7    |-----[b]E[/b]-----[b]A[/b]-----|
              |     |     |     |
         8    [b]C[/b]-----[b]F[/b]-----|-----|
              |     |     |     |
         9    |-----|-----[b]B[/b]-----|
              |     |     |     |
        10    |-----|-----[b]C[/b]-----|
    The C on the E string is fretted with the pinky.
    The D, E, and F on the A string are fretted with the 1, 3 and 4 fingers.
    On the D string, finger the G and A with the 1 and 3 fingers, then slide down to the 9th fret and finger the B and C with the 1 and 2 fingers.

My teacher taught me this because he says I should be able to play the scale starting from any finger on any string. This is also helping me to learn the fretboard as I have started practicing all 3 forms (the two in the poll plus the one outlined above) in all major scales following the cycle of 4ths.

It is also helping me to get more comfortable with moving around on the fretboard.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also slide your 1 finger up from the G to the A, then fret the B and C with your 3 and 4 fingers, respectively.
  11. Damn advertisements! :D

To answer your question as many ways as you can.
    It is not a choice between one or the other.
    If you are going from C to D you should know where every C is and every way you can get to the D. You have been given 3 ways to play the major scale, try to find a fourth.
  12. Iseem to remember a post in a thread questioning the value of practicing a scale on one string, but I find it useful- especially to understand root-tenth doublestop lines on a 4string bass.
  13. Yeah doing that really helped me to learn the modes up and down the neck.
  14. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    My instructor taught me this third way a bit different. He referred to it as being able to play the entire scale to the left of the root note.

Sorry about the formatting, but you get the gist. Incidentally, one of the great things I find re: bass playing, I come from an extensive guitar playing background, is trying bass lines out in different positions to find the one that is just right.

E A D G

F 1 |-----|-----|-----|
    | | | |
    R 2 |-----|-----|-----|
    | | | |
    E 3 |-----|-----|-----|
    | | | |
    T 4 |-----|-----|-----B
    | | | |
    5 |-----D-----G-----C
    | | | |
    6 |-----|-----|-----|
    | | | |
    7 |-----E-----A-----|
    | | | |
    8 C-----F-----|-----|
    | | | |
    9 |-----|----------|
    | | | |
    10 |-----|------|----|
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm the only one that uses the 5 fret stretch?

w00t go me:meh:

I use it for two reasons, it works my figners more, and It opens up the fretboard for soloing.

I find that when I do the stacked method(the more common 4-fret stretch thing) I get stuck in the same dumb patterns, but not when I use the other one.
  16. actually, when I learned the intro bass riff to Miles Davis' So what (although I heard the Ronny Jordan smooth jazz version first, in which the riff is played as a repeating line on guitar), I found it sounded better using a 5fret stretch.

I thought that this was bad technique, but maybe it was okay after all.
  17. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Wrong Robot,

yeah....I find the same thing. The 5 fret stretch makes me finger it using the "bunch of bananas" hand method (per Glenn Letsch - Bass for Beginners book).

My goal is not to sit on a bench stool in the Starbucks section of the local Borders playing "not zesty" (remember the Taco Bell commercial with the guy sitting on the grass playing lame guitar to his liberal girlfriend?) bass solos. I just wanna ROCK. I understand this takes time and effort.

I have a day job in the computer field and have no intentions on becoming a professional bassist even if I could gain the talent. I just want to "rock out" with my fellow coworkers in our little garage band.

I am slowly finding the fast way to achieve that goal. I don't particularly care about "doing it the right way" and "learning bad habits", etc.

If I hang my thumb over the top from time to time, so what. If I attended college for music, then I would probably receive F's.

How many bass players cannot type (much less 50+ wpm) yet want to use a computer?!?!?! They are always so damn impatient and want to take shortcuts like using a mouse. :)

They buy a computer and expect to start using it right away. Yet they never spend hours in the woodshed doing "asdf jkl;" over and over learning to type. Why should it be different for the bass (or any other instrument)?

I have had two bass teachers now who refuse to teach me anything other than chromatic exercises for weeks on end. I realize that both were milking me for $$$ rather than holding back real knowledge for the sake of any ideology, but still.....

Do you all see the parallel here?

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Personally I dont use a major third first to pinky strech I just dont feel cozy enough to shed it enough to be able to call on it under fire. those positions Ill start on the second finger.

so that leaves five notes to start positions off of and 2 positions that are built off of the the 2 hlf steps starting witht the second.

also if the position requires the third first/pinky on a higher string that string gets 2 notes and I use second and pinky and the first on the assendinding string.

Think about buying a book called fingerbord harmony by garry willis it would go along way for advanceing being able play all over the neck.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Given your goals, you don't need to learn anything.

Modes, scales, fingering techniques - all useless if you 'just wanna rock out'. You've already got what you need.

But, if you want to get better, to actually learn, then there are no shortcuts. And it's time to reread all the posts in this thread.
  20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

David Watts,

The "code" tag will show monospace text correctly. I did that with your post so it would be easier to read.