Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major Scale Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by joke, Jul 12, 2002.

1. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    Hey

I read Jazzbo's article, and I decided to try and figure out all the Major scales.

Can anyone please tell me if these are correct? And if they aren't correct, can you tell me where i may have went wrong?

C Major - C - D - E - F - G - A - B - c
    C# Major - C# - D# - F - Gb - G# - A# - C - db
    D Major - D - E - F# - G - A - B - C# - d
    D# Major - D# - F - G - Ab - Bb - C - D - d#
    E Major - E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D# - e
    F Major - F - G - A - Bb - C - D - E - f
    F# Major - F# - G# - A# - B - C# - D# - F - f#
    G Major - G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - g
    G# Major - G# - A# - C - Db - Eb - F - G - g#
    A Major - A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - a
    A# Major - A# - C - D - Eb - F - G - A - a#
    B Major - B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# - A# - b

Thanks.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    (Sigh)-
    ;)

I only got as far as your 2nd scale(C#)-

C#-D#-F-Gb-G#-A#-C-Db

Bear in mind, theoretically, the scale should climb alphabetically.

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
    G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G
    D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D

F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F
    Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb
    etc.

See how it's always in alphabetic order(w/ the necessary sharps/flats added)?

So, C#-
    C#-D#-E#-F#-G#-A#-B#-C#

Too, think about them in the Cycle of Fifths(or Fourths)...there is an order to how the sharps/flats
    fall.
    Sharps are in "fifths"-
    F is always the first "#"
    C is 2nd
    G is 3rd
    D is 4th
    A is 5th
    E is 6th
    B is 7th
    etc

Flats are in "fourths"-
    B is the first "b"
    E is 2nd
    A is 3rd
    D is 4th
    G is 5th
    C is 6th
    F is 7th
    etc

I'm sure Jazzbo probably covered all that... ;)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm so sorry JOKE. I got your email and I really was going to respond. It's just, I've gotten some more responses to the theory quiz, and I've been trying to respond to everything, and just didn't get the chance. Again, my apologies, in the future I'll be much better about responding to emails.

As far as the answer to your question, well, it looks like JimK nailed that.

The major point was what JimK mentioned about the scale climbly alphabetically. This is a major point and will really help you understand intervals. If you take a scale like C#, you can build a good deal of the scale before even really looking at it. You know it's going to begin on C.

C D E F G A B c

Now you need to figure out which are sharp. And remember, in a sharp scale, all notes are sharp. You cannot have sharps and flats in the same scale. C# is an easy one to remember though, because everything is sharp. As you can imagine, it's not a popular scale, (although Db could be!).

C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

E# and B# are the notes that screw everyone up. Yes, they're enharmonics to F and C, but in this scale, you already have an F and a C, you can't have two in a scale.

As an exercise, I like to have people write out what the major scale would be for G#. It will be confusing, but again, I think it stresses how intervals work.

Also, the point JimK made about using the Cycle of Fourths is very important. It helps me a lot because you can build a scale without even having to think of the intervals. For instance, Gb.

I can start by just writing each alphabetical note:

G A B C D E F g

Knowing the cycle, I know that Gb has 6 flats, and knowing the order of flats, I know that the flats will be B E A D G C.

So, I can rewrite my scale:

Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F gb

It's easy. I know that G has one sharp in it, F. So I can just write the scale, adding the one sharp. I know that Eb has 3 flats, etc. etc.