Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

major tones from modest gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, May 5, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    There've been a few posts lately about inexpensive preamps and such, so I thought I might post this about a new set up I've been playing with.

I'm getting some hugely nice tones using an active bass (emg pup's and BTS system) into a SABDDI, then into an ART Tube Pac preamp/compressor. This combination is capable of such a wide range of tones! The improvement over using the SABDDI alone is hard to believe-- it's not just a little better, it's like TONS better.

The Tube Pac can be set up to overdrive the preamp tube like crazy but the compressor circuit and output gain controls make it easy to dial in just the right output level to the amp or DI.

The Tube PAC is only $99. Admittedly, if I was starting from scratch buying both the SABDDI and the Tube Pac, close to $300 gets you into a range of pretty nice preamps. But since I already had the SABDDI, I think it was the best $99 I could have spent, tone-wise.

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Just chiming in to say I LOVE my tube pac! $99 Shipped is some kind of good price on these, they used to sell for a lot more. The tube overdrives really nicely.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I agree. I use my BDDI in front of almost any preamp I use. I believe you can get a very nice and very usable tone from inexpensive gear. Many of us buy and listen with our eyes instead of our ears.