1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Make a band with 3 kinds of bass without guitar

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Renzo92, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Renzo92

Renzo92

Jun 11, 2018

This is example of lead bass, he is using tenor bass with 0.25 string gauge.

And also jeff schmidt who used his piccolo bass with complex technique. He can really strumming the piccolo bass and the sounds are insane.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Virtually anything in music can work with the right vision and people plus a tight and well constructed arrangement.

Here’s Snarky Puppy using two baritone guitars (which is a notoriously difficult instrument to make work for most bands) and bass.

Toss in one sultry and talented vocalist who has the right vibe for the song and it’s magic.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    chuck3 likes this.
  3. Renzo92

Renzo92

Jun 11, 2018
    Speechless dude

40Hz likes this.
  4. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    My thoughts go to the S.M.V. collaboration. All three play standard bass guitars, but one comps, one holds down the bass, and one solos. Then they trade. Or they play are playing unison lines in different registers. That group is obviously bass player oriented, and you may take or leave the aesthetic of the three virtuosos trading off like that.

MoeTown1986, L Anthony and ArtechnikA like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Me too. Check out some of the other videos in Snarky Puppy’s Family Dinner series and be prepared to continue to be rendered speechless.

Mike League and company are seven different kinds of awesome IMO.

6. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Oh YEA!

pgnbstrd likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If all you need the keyboard for is background strings, you don't need it. Among other things, you can have one of the bassists use a synth patch to cover that.

I just think that the keyboard is excess baggage, and marketing-wise, it works better with just bass guitars and a drummer.

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think it would be a lot of fun. I’d like to see one with a double bass, bass VI, drums and a deep horn (bass clarinet, bari sax, etc.) somewhere.

9. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Right, I was thinking along the lines of a bass VI, too, in addition to an electric and an upright. Other than novelty, though, I'm not sure why the OP is determined to limit his group's instrumentation. Multiple basses can be interesting (notably, e.g., on Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wild Side'), but not necessarily just for their own sake.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I came here specifically to mention Ned's, looks like that was taken care of!

Jokei likes this.
  11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    not 3 kinds of bass, but 3 basses...;)

Good Luck!

12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    These guys did it with a regular 4 string and a fretless 6.

13. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    My thoughts exactly. In a jazz context only one of the basses would play bass lines.
    the rest ought to be executing horn parts. That's what I ended up doing in a Jazz band with URB and me on fret less electric. The Upright bass played walking bass lines, I played horn lines.

I don't see a need to fill in the rhythm guitar role when you already have keyboards doing harmony.
    Have the piccolo bass play horn parts.

14. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010

ArtechnikA likes this.
  15. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    You don't really need baritones and piccolos and all that stuff. Find the right players, do a little arranging, have everyone listen to what everyone is playing and you'll be fine.
    This isn't jazz (and it is only two basses) but everyone is finding their own space and it sounds great.
    Saw these guys a few years ago. They were amazing. Everyone kept switching roles (slap, finger-style, strumming) and the guitar player just played rhythm, unless he was soloing. These bass players have different tones/sounds which makes a big difference. Also it helps if you have Nikki Glaspie on drums. Funk nirvana!

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Lots of trouble and limitations for unappealing results.
    I always thought about doing a band with a bass VI and a piccolo bass, just to play with the audience's mind. Then I realized that most people wouldn't get it and it was too much trouble.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  17. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Like Wooten, Miller, and Clarke?

dab12ax7ef likes this.
  18. Roccafella

Roccafella Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    cgerbvgielfwgb7gragh.

one of these could sub for keys/guitar nicely if EQ'd correctly.

Ive always wanted one

19. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Rothko was just 3 basses (and occasional drum machine) originally, but I seem to remember they ended up as 1 guy, and a laptop, by the early 2000's.

Freebass / Freebase (I can't remember) was a more recent 3 bass player band, made up of Peter Hook (Joy Division / New Order, Andy Rourke (The Smiths), and Mani (The Stone Roses / Primal Scream).

I was going to mention Ned's and GVSB, as well as Cop Shoot Cop, all appearing in the late 80's.

I did see a band with exactly the lineup the OP is proposing, back in the mid-90's.

I've no idea what they were called - it was very Ozric Tentacles, and not my cup of tea at all.

I'm not aware of anyone doing it as a Jazz band.

20. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    More than that, there's two keys players going low with their left hands, AND a bass clarinet.
    And, and, the bass VI instruments are in two different tunings.

I'm pretty sure Mike League did that arrangement just to make himself laugh/troll bass players.

40Hz likes this.