1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Make a band with 3 kinds of bass without guitar

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Renzo92, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Roccafella

Roccafella Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    I haven't thought about Ozric in years!
    I was abit obsessed about 20 yeara ago.....................but maybe not as sober

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don’t know if it’s so much trolling as trawling with it all being down so deep.

Realistically however, while it may work for one song, I don’t think I’d want to sit through three sets of that. Even if Michael League arranged it. (And I doubt he would since I’m sure he knows better too.)

About the only band I’m familiar with who hung out entirely in the low end and made it work was Morphine and Mark Sandman who jokingly referred to what they did as “Low Rock” when he wasn’t calling it “*expletive* Rock.”

But Mark Sandman was such a laconic yet charismatic front man that it probably wouldn’t matter what was playing in the background. Morphine was the embodiment of Mark’s personality, and his show from front to back. (Sure do miss his deadpan style and that band’s unique sound.)

Jokei likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I agree.

And even Morphine wasn't all that low, really. At least not by modern standards.
    Sandman was essentially playing the bottom two strings of a drop-D guitar. Not drop-D below standard bass tuning.

40Hz likes this.
  4. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    When taking on any non-traditional ensembles, the musicians, rather than the instruments, should inform your decisions.
    Most 7+string bass player that I've heard, really knows comping and soloing. Same with Stick or Warr guitar players. Interestingly, many of those touch-guitar players also happen to be BASS players. At this point, you just need some monster musicianship to work out the arrangements...

Good luck and I'd love to hear the results!

Diego

5. Of course see Spinal Tap "Big Bottom" and then there's these guys...

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Piccolo bass is just 4 string guitar.

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    How many people would pay to see a jazz band with 3 bass players? Virtually zero.

8. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Well, three different saxophones is common, so why not?

9. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Anything’s possible. Maybe, add a horn (saxophone)?

10. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Why not? I dig creative people. Go get ‘me tiger!

11. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I tried a two bass project once where I strummed a piccolo bass but I can't say I enjoyed it or that I thought it sounded good. YMMV but I would say it's probably not an entirely sustainable project in the long run.

12. I would be interested in an all bass band or at least several basses. I've often thought about it. Don't know the right people though. I have a hard enoguh time getting someone to play bass while I play guitar and sing one or two songs for cying out loud!

13. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Saw Fitz and the Tantrums this weekend. No guitar on that gig and was phenomenal.

14. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

There was Big Bottom, in the late 90's / early 2000's, which was made up of nothing but 9 bass players.

I don't remember them ever releasing anything, it was more performance art really, but there may be some video out there.

juancaminos likes this.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    You need one of these

30" scale 8 string bass

b%20593.

Peteyboy likes this.
  16. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    OK, what are you naming this band?

Might I suggest:

The Downlow
    Largesse
    Boom, Done!
    Johnny Deeper

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do what you think needs to be done, make your vision a reality, and pfft on anyone else's opinions. If it isn't total encouragement, ignore it. I think it would stand a chance of being a really good band as any.

18. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Try it and see.
    Report back.
    Post clips.

instrumentalist likes this.
  19. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Why do you want this specific instrumentation? Is it a gimmick? If so, probably not a great idea. OTOH, if you have a vision and this instrumentation is required to fulfill your vision, then it's a great idea.

instrumentalist likes this.
  20. Renzo92

Renzo92

Jun 11, 2018
    How about him,