1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

make a bass fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LittleJaco, Nov 5, 2004.

1. LittleJaco

LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    is it possible to make a bass fretless from a fretted bass? If so, do you think a normal music store that does repairs can do it? for info, the bass im thinking about converting is a silvertone revolver bass, pretty much a copy of the squier precision bass.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I do not think that the average music store has anyone capeable of doing this kind of repair. I know that way back when, I took my peavey to a local guitar manufacturer to have it done. There are places everywhere. If you have a local store that gives lessons, I would suggest talking to one or more of the instructors to find out where they have their guitars worked on. In my home town, there are 3 music stores, but none of the instructors I know of take their instruments to any of them.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have done it before, when I was 17. The defretting is actually pretty easy. I decided to polyurethane the fingerboard. That wasn't easy at all. Pretty much ruined it.

I am moving this to Setup, since it is repair/modification oriented.

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    17? I did it not long ago and I'm 14. Must not be too hard since a dumb child like myself did it ;). But, like you said, the coating of it is the hard part. I just decided to skip that and I oiled it up instead.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    de-frettign isn't all that hard- I've defretted two basses and they both turned out pretty good and playable. you pretty much just tap the frets out with a thin screwdriver, sand teh board, fill teh frets with wood filler, sand it again, then poly-coat it, then fine-sand the poly. Turned out nice.

6. Hey, would one of you sharp guys take a look at the top of the forum.

We don't stick this stuff up there to answer questions about it down here.