make a bass fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LittleJaco, Nov 5, 2004.

1. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    is it possible to make a bass fretless from a fretted bass? If so, do you think a normal music store that does repairs can do it? for info, the bass im thinking about converting is a silvertone revolver bass, pretty much a copy of the squier precision bass.
  2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I do not think that the average music store has anyone capeable of doing this kind of repair. I know that way back when, I took my peavey to a local guitar manufacturer to have it done. There are places everywhere. If you have a local store that gives lessons, I would suggest talking to one or more of the instructors to find out where they have their guitars worked on. In my home town, there are 3 music stores, but none of the instructors I know of take their instruments to any of them.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have done it before, when I was 17. The defretting is actually pretty easy. I decided to polyurethane the fingerboard. That wasn't easy at all. Pretty much ruined it.

I am moving this to Setup, since it is repair/modification oriented.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    17? I did it not long ago and I'm 14. Must not be too hard since a dumb child like myself did it ;). But, like you said, the coating of it is the hard part. I just decided to skip that and I oiled it up instead.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    de-frettign isn't all that hard- I've defretted two basses and they both turned out pretty good and playable. you pretty much just tap the frets out with a thin screwdriver, sand teh board, fill teh frets with wood filler, sand it again, then poly-coat it, then fine-sand the poly. Turned out nice.
  6. Hey, would one of you sharp guys take a look at the top of the forum.

We don't stick this stuff up there to answer questions about it down here.