Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

make a bolt on neck into a .....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve-o, Nov 19, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    neck through neck?

im building a guitar and would rather have a neck through...

how could i do this?

thanks
    steve

2. How much of the neck do you have? Is it fully finished waiting to be bolted on to a body or is still needing to be finished more? I'm thinking you've probly got a fair bit of work ahead either way but I don't think its impossible, though its probly not terribly economical and in the end wouldn't be worth it. The way I'm thinking you could do it is something similar to JP's J-neck. Its got horizontal laminates rather than vertical ones, so you'd cut your current neck in half horizontally and then glue it onto a blank long enough to be used as a neck-thru, if you get what I mean?

Its not impossible to do, but you'd have to ask if its worth it. In my opinion you'd be better to make a whole new neck, possibly salvaging the fretboard from the BO, cause it should be able to transfer straight across.

Josh D

3. I would just cut wings off the body and start over with another piece of wood for the neck