1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

make a bolt on neck into a .....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve-o, Nov 19, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    neck through neck?

im building a guitar and would rather have a neck through...

how could i do this?

thanks
    steve

2. How much of the neck do you have? Is it fully finished waiting to be bolted on to a body or is still needing to be finished more? I'm thinking you've probly got a fair bit of work ahead either way but I don't think its impossible, though its probly not terribly economical and in the end wouldn't be worth it. The way I'm thinking you could do it is something similar to JP's J-neck. Its got horizontal laminates rather than vertical ones, so you'd cut your current neck in half horizontally and then glue it onto a blank long enough to be used as a neck-thru, if you get what I mean?

Its not impossible to do, but you'd have to ask if its worth it. In my opinion you'd be better to make a whole new neck, possibly salvaging the fretboard from the BO, cause it should be able to transfer straight across.

Josh D

3. I would just cut wings off the body and start over with another piece of wood for the neck