Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make a drum sander or buy a 13" thickness plainer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bill h, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I did a search and did not find much....I hope this is in the correct spot

I got a mag that has instructions on how to make a drum sander that will take 24" stock. To make this unit I will have to spend about $100 for pullys and a motor, if my time is worth any thing it will be a wash. I can buy a 13" thickness plainer for $200, new. I know they each have a place and do there own thing. I have only so much money to spend, what do you think would be the best deal and which will I get the most use out of?

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    as you describe this thickness planer as a $200 new model ... I'd say it's a no brainer to make the $100 drum sander - and then save some $$ for a good planer later on.

ya need them both eventually, but it'll get you farther to buy stock that is already S2S and drum sand the imprefections. If you get the planer you'll still be doing a ton of block sanding after you adjust the thickness on your stock

all the best,

R

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Thanks for the simple reasoning, I do have a 4" and a 6" jointer, so what I need it for manly is to make my stock the same thickness all the way across. I can do it with hand plains, but what a pain in the butt.

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    once you glue you body halves together, the drum sander will be the ticket to do a final levelling across the entire top and back ... not something you can do with a 13" planer.

even the slightest ripples in a top will stand out when you add a few coats of high gloss clear

all the best,

R

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Looks like I have a project to do, thanks for the help!

6. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Let us know how your sander turns out!:hyper:

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I'll take pics and make a thead for it! I'm so glad I have a spot to get this great info...