Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make a Kick-Ass Pedal Board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by morty25, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Multi-FX boxes are great, but many bassists agree its hard to beat the sound of a few carefully selected stompboxes into a big amp. Assembiling your own pedal board isnt as tricky as it sounds. Heres some ideas to help you design yur rig and for any of you that already have a pedal board leave now!!!! only joking :D

use quality pedals with metal casing and check out the choice of the pros. Dont over do it though - any more than five pedals will see your origanal signal weakening and a noticeable loss of tone.

Use quality connecting cables for reliabilty and best sound quality.

Experiment the order of the pedals. A typical combination that works well would be wah, distortion, EQ, and Chorus.

The easiest way of holding the thing together would is to superglue some velcro to the backs of the pedals, and then the ame to a sutiably-sized piece of flat wood. I never said this was going to be high tech...

To power them up you can use specially designed power supplies, but many people use 9 volt batery

Taken from TOTAL GUITAR

For more ideas go to http://www.pedalboards.com

Morty
    :D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've been using self-adhesive velcro tape and a wood board for years - works great.

3. This prevents pedals from walking away from gigs where one must soundcheck, then wait for other performers to do likewise, yet leave their setups in place. I use metal strapping material, a.k.a. "plumber's tape" snipped into small pieces. I then unscrew the rear panel of the pedal, insert the piece of metal so that one of the holes lines up, and reattatch the back panel. I then use hex-head screws drilled into the plywood board. This is especially great for wah-happy pedal freaks, as the pedal absolutely will not move during performance. Only 1 pedal on my boards (I have 3, see below) is not attatched this way & that's NY Bassballs, as it does not have a bottom panel; it unscrews from the top. Velcro must do the job there, but the pedal doesn't have the same solid feel underfoot like the rest. My boards:

"Church" -- MXR bass octave into Korg tuner into an ancient Jax volume pedal

"Universal"-- A Boss BCB-3 containing (in signal path order) NS2 (noise reducer & power supply), SYB-3 (bass synth) and CEB-3 (bass chorus) This board is used for all gigs, and also has a Boss Tu-2 tuner in the external loop of the NS-2 for silent tuning at my feet. I hate retreating to my amp to silent tune. Far too many bassists and guitarrists do this and it looks like they are runnin' home to momma when they belong closer to the audience.

"Funk" --Boss Pw-10 V-wah into NY Bassballs
    This is used in my rock trio and outputs into the Boss board.

Both Church & Funk boards also have power outlet strips that can accomodate the wall-warts (AC adaptors for those who don't know) Since my amp has an octave divider feature, I only use the Church board there, since the whole group goes direct.

4. you guys forgot to mention a bypass switcher...get one with more than one loop, set up "presets" of your boxes and "call them up" with the stomp of one switch; multi-effect!!
    Here's mine..true bypass with LED's too...handy.

[​IMG]

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Morty,

I just finished my homemade board a couple of weeks ago. Aside from the pedals, I used a piece of scrap wood, black spray paint, adhesive-backed velchro, an AC power supply with 5 power jacks, and a few male/male jacks and George L cable to connect the pedals. It works great, and beats paying $100 to $200 for a manufactured pedal board. Not being a handy man, I had fun putting it together as well.

One of the pedals is a Morgan Freeman bypass pedal, so I don't have any "tone suck" when the effects are not engaged.

6. Yeah, Morgan Freeman. He makes great boxes. Maybe he should give up his day gig eh? All those movies must cut into his soldering time somewhat.
    :p

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    oops! that's a Morgan Miller bypass pedal, not Morgan Freeman as previously mentioned in my post.

I guess the mix up was from recently watching "The Sum of All Fears".

8. You can view a Real Player movie of my "kick-ass pedalboard project" here if you like?
    http://www.spotlife.com/users3/madsubwoofer/webalbum/

they're brief due to size restrictions but you'll get the idea? I made 'em for pals but anyone can view them. I use each of those boxes..I swear!

[​IMG]