Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make a passive sound like an active

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stinkiusminkius, Aug 31, 2004.

1. OK, this is a bit of a cop out, but is there a way to make a passive bass sound like an active bass? If so, what sort of effects and levels are required? Or any nice full meaty punchy sound for that matter.

Cheers

2. Re the above - ideally any settings for the Boss GT6B multipedal.
    Ta.

3. The Aguilar DB9224 is an active outboard preamp designed to do exactly what you want. It really beefs up the tone of any bass, including passive.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm not really sure whether or not any effects on the GT6B will help you get a meaty, punchy sound. Does the GT6B have an equalizer and a compressor built in? If so you might want to try messing with those.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but if you really wanted to make your bass "active" without rewiring it or anything, you could get an outboard preamp. There are quite a few to choose from... Sadowsky, Aguilar, Fodera, J-retro, etc. Some are more versatile than others, but they're worth looking into IMO.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sadowsky outboard pre. Done.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    either the fishman, sadowsky, or aguilar outboard pre will make you a happy player

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The EQ/boost pedal I built was just for this reason.

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    What kind of bass do you have? If you are playing a bass that could be cosidered a beginer or intermediate level instrument then save your money, forget the preamp and get an active bass. BTW, there are many passive basses that sound very active.

9. davesisk

davesisk

Aug 30, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Go to a music store and try running your bass through a MXR M80...I just tried one of those and it's amazing. It's not just a bass distortion box...it's a solid-state preamp that sounds suspiciously like a high-end tube preamp. It cranks out a fat and punchy tone that you will find is hugely different from what you run into it...no kidding here. I understand the Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI is very similar, but I haven't tried it yet...I'm actually planning to go compare the two side-by-side tommorrow to decide which one I want...

HTH,
    Dave

10. ChillWill

ChillWill

Apr 18, 2004
    One of the first basses that I ever owned was a mexican Fender jass bass with passive pickups......The sound of a fender jazz can be cool enough for most of us.....But slapping on some active EMG pickups with active electronics will make your bass sound like night and day.....I still use it to this day...Another good thing about active pickups is there is virtually no noise from the output...This is especially unique in a Fender jazz.......But as far as Types of active electronics....ther's too many to count so try out a few basses that are active and find one that suits you....the find out whats inside!!!

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Try some Villex pickups. That'll work. :)

12. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I second the Villex option. Great sounding pups. Lots of beefy bottom.