Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make an active bass passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 5, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I´ve recently realized that the preamp in my Washburn ain´t so great. So I was wondering if there is a simple way to disable the preamp thus making my bass passive?

2. I'm not an expert, but I think you would need new pick ups. From what I know, passive pickups are different than actives. You would have to remove the active pups and preamp, then install passive pups, and rewire it all back together.

Of course, I could be wrong.;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...and you probably are :D

Most basses have <b>passive</b> pickups and <b>active</b> EQ, so it's not a problem to make it passive. But it'll probably not sound better...

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Bleh...

Then I´ll seddle with turning the Tone pot down on my bass.

I bought the Sansamp bass driver DI the other day, and when my bass is plugged in, it gives out a very overdriven tone, kinda like using a distortion pedal. I´m guessing that the preamp on my bass is "not so good". But I just found out today that the problem disappeares when I turne down the tone pot, so that will just have to do :)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe it's just time to change batteries ;)

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Way ahead of you :)

Already checked the battery, even replaced it, but still the same distortion. But it works fine to turn down the Tone pot. :)

7. I think your problem may be mismatched input voltages or impedences. I know that the SansAmp is popular but I don't think it would be worth it to run an active bass through one.

The distortion after the battery change is the telltale clue.

And with that brilliant analysis :rolleyes:, I'm kickin' this thing up to pickups.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks,
    I wasn´t quite sure wether the post should go in Setup or pickups :)

But as I said, with the Tone turned down, it´s just fine.