Make an active bass passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 5, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I´ve recently realized that the preamp in my Washburn ain´t so great. So I was wondering if there is a simple way to disable the preamp thus making my bass passive?

2. I'm not an expert, but I think you would need new pick ups. From what I know, passive pickups are different than actives. You would have to remove the active pups and preamp, then install passive pups, and rewire it all back together.

Of course, I could be wrong.;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...and you probably are :D

Most basses have <b>passive</b> pickups and <b>active</b> EQ, so it's not a problem to make it passive. But it'll probably not sound better...

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Bleh...

Then I´ll seddle with turning the Tone pot down on my bass.

I bought the Sansamp bass driver DI the other day, and when my bass is plugged in, it gives out a very overdriven tone, kinda like using a distortion pedal. I´m guessing that the preamp on my bass is "not so good". But I just found out today that the problem disappeares when I turne down the tone pot, so that will just have to do :)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe it's just time to change batteries ;)

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Way ahead of you :)

Already checked the battery, even replaced it, but still the same distortion. But it works fine to turn down the Tone pot. :)

7. I think your problem may be mismatched input voltages or impedences. I know that the SansAmp is popular but I don't think it would be worth it to run an active bass through one.

The distortion after the battery change is the telltale clue.

And with that brilliant analysis :rolleyes:, I'm kickin' this thing up to pickups.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks,
    I wasn´t quite sure wether the post should go in Setup or pickups :)

But as I said, with the Tone turned down, it´s just fine.