1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Make and model of Eric Revis' strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Lorenzini, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  2. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    i would make a guess that's Velvet Animas.
    I though thinks his tone is much in the bass as well and, of course, the fingers.

3. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    He's running exactly what i am right now; Velvet Animas with a plain gut G.

4. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    ye, i missed the G gut.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Awesome.

They look extremely low tension but he plays with high action, and the combination is utterly gorgeous to me. Are the Velvet Animas indeed low tension?

Which gut G is he playing? Anyone know?

6. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    yeah, velvet has really low tension. I would not say he has them that high here though, do you think? I really think that the action/tension chokes the sound of the instrument here. He still sounds amazing though!

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It seemed somewhat high. Let's call it Medium tension, but he's also really pulling those strings.

Yep, sounds amazing!!!

Either way, thanks a bunch for the assistance.

8. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Two things -

First, is that Eric's bass/setup, or borrowed? He might be a gut guy (he's playing with Branford) and that was the most "gutlike" setup on a bass he dug in the town/festival he was at.

Secondly, its hard to visually identify plain gut, unless its something really idiosyncratic like Gamut Pistoy. For the record, I think any gut string with good snappy tension would sound great with Animas!

9. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Green peg-ends. Velvet Garbos.

10. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Good eyes, Andreas! Could that be the gut g set?

11. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    I don't think so. The Velvet Garbo gut G is a bit thinner than the regular Garbo G. The reg Garbo G is also a bit "gut-coloured". You can see it more clearly in this vid.

12. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    If that's what you're looking for, I think you should try a full set of guts.

13. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I am a huge fan of Eric Revis. He is probably my favorite bassist who is still among the living. He is also very nice and, in my experience, takes the time to respond to emails sent to him.

I emailed him a while back while I was trying to figure out my string dilemma and he was very forthcoming about his setup and strings. You should email him and inquire. I imagine he could help you out.

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Aren't there benefits to using Animas vs. other gut set?

I am definitely amplifying and otherwise have simply been a Spiro Orch user otherwise. I'm hoping not to lose the solid tone of these by going to gut, so I'm assuming Animas help remedy that.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, Animas aren't gut strings. But they do seem to be more stable in the tuning department to a certain degree. I suppose that's why a lot of people use them in combination with guts on top. The feel, character, and volume are very complementary to real guts I think. They were quite different from Spiros on my bass... more complex sounding, more "grainy" and diffused, and a little slower to respond. They sounded fantastic on my bass, amplified or not. They're wonderful strings. If I hadn't personally had such a hard time playing them with the bow, I might never even have been tempted to try gut strings, which worked out very well for me in that department.

The full Gamut gut set was the one set I could count on to sound great in any room of any size, amplified or not. The Spiros fake me out sometimes, and I've played them a LOT over the years. I'm not really sure why, and I can always get them to sound decent with some EQ tweaking. But the guts were just... effortless great sound.

17. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Last time I hung out with Eric (he was living in San Antonio for a while, and playing a lot in Austin) He had Garbo's under plain guts, although he prefers Golden Spirals IIRC. This was ca. 2008 or 2009. His string height was WAY high (like I can fit my hand under them twice over.

He's a bad mofo fo sho, and I wish I took greater advantage of his presence.

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks a lot by the way. Very informative thread!

I have an old gut set I can throw on to start getting the feel of, and hope to grab a set of Velvets soon.

19. bryprezcern

bryprezcern

Jun 5, 2007
    ScreenShot2012-01-02at92834AM.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Again... and I'm not trying to be obnoxious here... :D... Velvets aren't gut strings. They're great strings, they just aren't made of intestines. I only mention it because it seems to be a common misconception.