Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make firefox even faster!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 2, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey I stumbled upon this patch that makes Firefox load pages even faster. There's a noticable difference on my computer.

Here's the patch:

Firefox_Patcher.zip

And here's where it came from:

Source

Firefox is absolutely screaming for me now. If your computer is in tip top shape and you have a fast connection maybe it won't make a difference. I have Roadrunner cable and I keep my computer pretty clean and it made a difference.

brad cook

2. hey...pretty cool!
    it works!
    :)

3. wow it worked nicely for me too. hope its not a virus or anything, or else im coming after you!

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I looked at it, and while it works, it looks like many servers would interpret its behavior as flooding. Use with caution- doing this may violate your ISP terms of use, and servers may automatically block traffic from your computer if you have a static IP.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    OK. I can see this, but if an admin were to get pissed, if i just switched back to IE, would i have a problem? BTW, i use a router as well....(i don't know if that would help me not get into trouble).

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, I see three possible scenarios.

First, a server may just block your IP address, temporarily or permanently. That's only really a threat if your ISP assigns you a static IP.

Second, the server's admin may report you to your ISP. Even if you are using a dynamic IP, your ISP could read the report and know it was you. At that point, it depends on how many reports on you they got and if they really care. Some ISPs may suspend your for this. Their only real motivation is that if enough server admins report enough of the ISP's customers flooding their server, the server admins could ban all members of that ISP from their servers.

Third, particularly with cable internet providers, your ISP may notice that you are using more than your "share" of available bandwidth and suspend you.

Once any one of the above scenarios happens, it wouldn't matter if you switched to IE. You would still lose your internet access.

All of the above are worst-case, doom-n-gloom scenarios. Maybe nothing will happen except Mozilla will be faster. Just don't do this blindly.

And don't do this on your employer's computer- when I was in IT, I would have raised a sh*tstorm if I found out a user was installing an anonymous patch they found on a bass forum. Besides the security risk, it would seriously afffect the total bandwidth available on the business network.

7. so it is legit and not dangerous?

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Seems to be legit, and it doesn't *look* harmful to your computer. If Firefox got messed up, you could just reinstall Firefox.

The only concerns I see are outlined in the previous posts.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks, lyle!

i think i'll take the chance to see how much it does work

:D

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    OMG!

this thing is so fast, it's already tomorrow!!!!!!

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks!! Big difference.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Damn, I'm late for work.

brad cook

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I don't notice a difference, but I already have a stupid fast system with a stupid fast connection. Me, I'm just stupid.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it really helped me

roadrunner here at home on a wi-fi system and now my laptop is super dooper fast

neato

16. well, if its that good, it would have been merged into the firefox tree.

If you connect to TalkBass using this patch, you are denying other's connections just to make your webpage load faster. isn't that selfish?

17. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Wow.. Mine is just flying.. If anyone knows could someone care to explain why its making pages load faster?

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it's christmas eve where i'm at!

just got an iAmp800 :O

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Good call here Lyle. DO NOT install this on your work PC.

The security risk is one thing, but soaking up bandwidth can cause all kinds of problems in itself. Where I work, we monitor bandwidth use, and put "red flags" on users who seem to use more than the rest. After a certain amount of time, we pay them a visit.

On a side note..........for those on cable internet or faster connections using newer machines, I don't think the difference is all that noticeable.

-Mike

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Isn't there a designated whiner thread around here somewhere?

brad cook