Make flatwounds sound like rounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Johnny Mac, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I've been brainstorming ideas for a possible wet/dry rig. The dry portion I would like to keep the sound of my flatwounds, but for the wet side, I was wondering if there was a pedal that could make them sound more like rounds to push some extra harmonics into my dirt pedals.

OD pedals on their own don't quite get me there - my Dunwich ODB is probably the closest of the bunch. Would something like the FEA Growler get closer? And given that FEA doesn't make the Growler anymore, is there anything similar on the market?

2. An EQ pedal maybe?
    Honestly, I think it's probably easier making rounds sound like flats, instead of the other way around.

3. Johnny Mac

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I don't think an EQ will get me there. It's more about adding harmonics than boosting frequencies.

Sixgunn likes this.
  4. There is a bass (I forget the brand) that you pull a lever and the frets disappear into the fingerboard and it becomes fretless.

So if they can do that, now they need to make one where you pull a lever and the flatwounds rotate out of the way, under the fingerboard and roundwounds rotate up into place. haha - should be a piece of cake to design a bass like that.

5. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Try adding a little HF fuzz to your clean signal.

-Frank

nerkoids and Johnny Mac like this.
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Which brand of flats are you using?

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    This isn't really a fix for your problem, but that never stopped anyone from commenting before.

I wonder how mant guys have doubleneck basses just so they can have flats and rounds on the same instrument.

8. Johnny Mac

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Regular Ernie Ball flats, but I have a set of La Bella Gold Alloys on the way.

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Belfast, UK
    Maybe the Iron Ether Divaricator would suit your needs.

HaphAsSard, Klonk and boomertech like this.
  10. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I don't think you can add what's not there to begin with... and that's coming from a die-hard flatwound fan.

11. I use a Fender TBX for the tone pot in my P-Basses and it does this surprisingly well. I use it to make flats play better with overdrive.

fritzk9, Pbassmanca and Johnny Mac like this.
  12. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Dynamics. Dirt. Done. Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Gluey Porch
    Steel Leather

13. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Excellent suggestion!

-Frank

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Try some EB Cobalt Flats. They sound like rounds, seriously, they do. But, they're easier to dial in the flat wound sound. Like someone previous said, it's easier to make rounds sound like flats, but it's even easier to make flats that sound like rounds to sound like flats.

15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I would be amazed if anyone ever did that. Identical except for string type.

When would you need to do a quick change within a song between flats and rounds?

I've only ever seen two doubleneck basses where both sides were identical (Tim Commerford has a double J and Billy Sheehan has a double Attitude) and both of those were set up EADG/BEAD.

Most other doubleneck basses I've seen, and I've searched out a lot of them over the years, have been either fretted/fretless or had different numbers of strings, or a combo of both. Occasionally different scale lengths or pickup types come into the picture too. But never just different strings.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Just, no...

17. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    you can make the rounds sound like flats easier than the other way around. just put some rounds on and EQ the clean side.

Nev375 likes this.
  18. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    I second the Ernie Ball cobalt flats. Flats that sound like rounds.

19. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've heard lots of good comments about the Cobalt Flats - and maybe someday I'll get around to trying them.

What I use - and what I recommend to everyone is Thomastik Jazz Flats. I like them so much that I use them on all my basses and I have for years.

The Jazz Flats have excellent definition and detail while maintaining the solid low end and zero noise that you want with flats. They have super low tension and incredible feel too.

The only downside is that they cost at least 2 - 3 times what other strings do - but if you consider how long they last, they're actually a pretty good value.

Read all the reviews - T-I Jazz Flats are the real deal.

20. You won't find a bigger TI jazz flat fan than me, but honestly they don't really sound like rounds to me. Sure maybe closer than some of the super thumpy brands of flats, but quite far off rounds IMHO.

AngelCrusher and Pbassmanca like this.