Make my bass sound like acoustic, a la Violent Femmes?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Diggler, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I'm trying to duplicate that hollow, acoustic sound that you hear on Violent Femmes songs like Blister in the Sun and Add It Up but I'm not having any luck.

Does anyone have any tips on what effects I need to tweak to get that type of sound?

I have an ART Nightbass SE, but would like to hear from anyone who has found a similar sound and what effects and how much of each you used.

2. Don't know about effects, but you could try using flatwounds and a foam mute near the bridge.
  3. I don't know about the foam mutes, as there's a lot of treble in the violent Femmes bass sound. I've seen pictures of him with a ABG mostly, though he also uses a EUB on some songs.
    He showcases the unique sound of an ABG that I think is next to impossible to get with a solidbidy. With the right EQing(slight cut on bass, emphasis on the high mids and treble, maybe a touch of reverb) you might get close but a lot of that sound has to do with how a hollowbody reacts to the attack of a note being played. I think this is a great excuse to get an ABG.
  4. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    I have an electric bass with a piezo pickup in the bridge, and that can sound very much like an ABG.

For effects I think Mitchel is right on with a little reverb and the mid/upper eq boost. I might also suggest a light chorus or delay, for an edge and airymess that the reverb might not get.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Don't know how feasable it would be for you, but the Roland VBass has several settings that mimic that tone, and with tweaking you can create your own and/or fine tune it. There was one for sale here not too long ago, IIRC.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Boss VF-1 has a total of 6 banks (200 presets/200 customizable) of 'em is labeled "acoustic" and has 8-10 very different, very nice acoustic tones....and then you can tweak 'em to create your own unique sound. Not sure if you'd want to sell your ART, but the VF-1 can be found on ebay from time to time for about $225 - $250, and I'd highly recommend it.
  7. Pick up the Dean EAB, sounds great, and is super cheap (for an EAB). I love mine, the eq is not great, but the sound is awesome. got mine a while back for $150USD new.

edit: to stay OT, some EQ tweaking and playing way down by the bridge with new strings. I think much of the sound could be attained by playstyle and _slight_ effects like a touch of reverb or other "shaping" effects.