Make my bass sound super deep

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nextdimension, Oct 9, 2011.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm in a heavy groove type rock band that's been dabbling in some electronica type stuff. After going to a club the other night and dancing to some DJ spinning techno and dubstep I started thinking man imagine if I could make my bass sound as deep and booming as this electronic bass. I have an octive wammy on a boss ME-50B but the low note on that is very garbled sounding and just low not very booming. I can get pretty close to what I want by holding my wah at the toe up positioned but not quite. Any suggestions?

2. Find an old DOD Meatbox. Trust me.

3. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sounds cool, doesn't sound like it's easy to come by though

4. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    You might want to try an actual Low-Pass Filter (Moog LPF or Iron Ether Xerograph)

5. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    whats your rig setup? For what you're asking a 15" seems like a must. : p

6. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

You may want to look into an Alembic SF-2 superfilter. Loads of deepness....

7. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    I've done some searches but haven't found much... Are there any other pedal format subharmonic generators like the meatbox?

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There are plenty of octave down pedals on the market currently. Search for tons of threads. It's also important to know that huge deep bass will require alot of wattage, and sufficient speakers to handle that power.

9. AccuGroove

CHeck out the "Whappo Grande" in the cabinets section

10. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Play thru some fearful 15 cabs or get actual dedicated subwoofers along with your bass cabinet first off. Right there you get SOO much more out of your B string.

There are loads of good octavers out there (my first experience with one is a newly purchased SA MWBD), but your cabinets are going to hold you back more than anything else when it comes to really low frequencies.

11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    The SA MWBD only does an octave up. Someone already said it...Iron Ether Xerograph

12. Get a BBE Sonic Maximizer and boost the low contour knob up. I was shaking rivets out of a steel roof with a GK 700 rbII, a 410 cab and a 212 cab. I didn't even have my bass all the way up.

13. Submarmonic generators like the Meatbox and the rack-mount dbx definitely have a different sound from the standard octave down pedals like the OC-2 and stuff like that.

14. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The Digitech Bass Synth Wah has a good octaver in it and it gets some huge sounds.

15. This!! Or as an alternative if you can find an DOD FX25 Evelope Filter, set the sensitivity low and the range high.

16. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Awesome everyone thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna start researching all these pedals.

My rig now is a 500W Mark bass Little MarkII head and a 4 10"Mark Bass Cab. I'm sure am Additional 15 cab would make it sound awesome.

17. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know if there's any demo of a meatbox being played? From the description it sounds like what I'm looking for. I really want it to be a nasty low sound, I'm not really looking for the funky synth sound that the envelope filters get. The BBE Sonix Maximizer sounds like it could be cool. I'd like to hear a demo of someone using it in the way mentioned.

18. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/dod-fx32-meat-box-sound-clips-mini-review-677450/

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    nope, you don't wanna mix cabs. besides, a good 4x10 has way more lows and overall power than a typical 15 cab.

a second identical 4x10 would do the trick nicely.

as for pedals, the electro-harmonix micro-pog has an octave down and tracks pretty flawlessly.

20. octave down or low pass filter

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021