Make my bass sound super deep

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nextdimension, Oct 9, 2011.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Alright now that's what I'm talking about! Thats way deep, now the search begins.
    So you think I'll be alright with my setup? With tones that rattling I'd be worried about blowing my speakers, I guess I just have to be careful with it.

2. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was also just reading about the mole. Also sounds pretty cool but not quite so intense. Way cheaper and easier to find. I may have to go that route and if the meatbox ever turns up snag it.

3. wrong.

4. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    ???????:confused:

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    new member? ;)

common topic of discussion in the amps forum; different kinds of cabs have different phase responses between the speakers and the ports, and don't always reinforce each other's low end the way identical cabs will.

also, 15s don't have "more lows" than 4x10s. a single 15 has way less speaker area than 4 10s do, and typical single 15 bass cabs actually tend to put out more of a fat midrange kind of sound (which i like, so i use two identical single 15 cabs).

good PA systems never mix different kinds of sub cabs for the very same reason.

6. mountainmike

mountainmike

Feb 12, 2011
    I discovered a lot of varieties in BBE Sonic Maximizers. If there is any, I'd like to know more about differences in younger and older units. Various series, colors, and suffixes seem clear to me. Another question: how does the dbx120A 'subharmonic synthesizer' compare to the BBE Sonic Maximizers, and is the dbx any good in on-stage bass rigs?

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    Get a 5 string bass.

Get an amp with an 18" speaker.

Turn up the bass and turn up the volume.

Or get a line 6 bass pod and use the Sub Dub model.

or all of the above

8. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    TBH I don't really venture into the amps forum often (unless I have a problem :smug:)... but I've never read "you dont want to mix cabs" I do know that a 410 has more speaker area than a 115, so two 410's will push more air. But I just haven't read that it was an actual problem. Honestly cabs aren't something I put much thought into as most gigs I play the cabs are only used for a backline and all of the sound to the crowd is from a DI on my amp to FOH. I use a swr Goliath iii 410 on top of a gk glx (cheapo) cab with a 3015lf sub in it. Def not the most articulate setup but I'm never concerned about not hearing myself- and with an oc2/lpf on it shakes rooms (which is pretty fun)

9. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
  10. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    IMHO not mixing amps is BULLLLLSH!TTT. there are different sized speakers that wont hit low frequencies. Most 4x10s and 2x12s wont venture much past 40HZ. which is sad because the Meatbox live in the 35HZ area where 1x15s can reach to. but in your statement multiple cabs dont work together because of phasing..... WHO THE HECK IS GOING TO HEAR THAT IN THE CROWD? and second you're probably going to plug into the PA and have stage monitors on top of that.

11. Somehow I doubt that 5Hz really makes that much of a difference. I wonder what Bill Fitzmaurice or rpsands thinks about your ideas ;).

12. hate to be that guy but your gonna get some beef if Mr. fitzmaurice shows up. speaker size makes a negligible difference. you can get sick low freqs from even 8 inch speakers. its ALL about the box design. ALL about it. horn loaded cabs with a single ten get can down and dirty with some 18' PA subs. your best bet is to find the best tuned box you like, and if you need more volume or want to go a little lower add the SAME box with the same speakers to it. guaranteed satisfaction, its science.

I agree with the last part though....who is gonna hear it? (but you WILL feel it if the venue has proper subs to replicate those frequencies)

13. ha beat me to it Kwesi

14. Cheapest solution - turn the blend pot to the neck pickup and play further up the neck. If that's not headed in the right direction, turn up the bass knob, turn down the mid and treble knob until the whole thing gets too muddy for your taste.

15. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Yeah I'm no expert on the subject, but cabs just aren't that important IMO. You need something good enough that you like it, and loud enough you can hear yourself- but they just don't matter if your DI'ing. I suppose if you like mic'ing your cab that's a different story too. Hopefully no one can offer a reason that causes more gas

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    two mis-matched cabs will likely sound bigger and louder than either one by itself, but not as big and loud (or as deep, the point of this thread) as two matched cabs.

the phasing matters because that's what either makes the lows from the two cabs reinforce each other, giving you the big bad bass, or doesn't.

and saying that 4x10s won't reach the lows that a 15 will is just not even close to accurate.

17. mountainmike

mountainmike

Feb 12, 2011
    I agree with most things in this thread. I can't say I got it all and want more, but I already got some 5-strings: MTD, Westone Matsumoko, Aria Magna, and a 4-string BEAD Schecter. To get a MusicMan would be nice. Already got amps: SVT2/3/4Pro, Crown CE2000, Kustom1200. To get an SVT-II would be nice. Already got cabs: SVT810DL(1x) SVT410HLF(2x) G215H(1xKustom) 115BX/BW(2x). To get a couple of Ampeg 118s would be nice indeed, but maybe I'd prefer a couple of 129dB-SPL active subwoofers by 'dB Technologies', or both. Even more amps & cabs (SPL) would be better, mixing them or not, but this is TB's effects forum. To get a BassPOD would be nice, but in that range I'd prefer a PSA 1.1. For 'deepness' I'd like a hq single independent dedicated one-space rack unit. The Peavey Kosmos V2 seems nice. In holland I see no opportunity to AB these units though, it's a bit like testing explosives. Perhaps someone here on TB already has? Thanks so far! @wolffman: I play rock and metal, I don't really need to hear myself. I like to feel myself and listen to others ...

18. It's funny... I've known about the Meatbox for a while now but as it turns out... I didn't actually know what it did. Learn something new all the time in this place!

19. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    tried .175 gauge strings tuned to F#?

-*-

i also fiddled around with a Digitech Whammy Pedal set 2 octaves lower... man, you could play single notes all day on that set up with that "a milli" drum beat lol

20. funkslowpony

funkslowpony

Oct 10, 2011
    Cabs cabs cabs!!! Go listen to a good doom band. Doom bands have ridiculous back lines. 8x10s and 8x10s and 2x15s and 2x15s and etc. It's really over the top, but it achieves that deep bass tone. You gotta realize the bass from a club is coming out of subwoofers. Subs are designed to handle only a low narrow band of frequencies. Bass cabs will hit those frequencies too but they handle a larger frequency range. So I'm using two amps and two cabs. One is a dedicated subwoofer with only a bass eq setting the other hits mostly mids and highs.

I've done the f# string and it's too low for my tastes. It starts to go into the inaudible range then. Most cabinets aren't designed to handle much lower than a B anyway. I nearly blew a speaker with the F#, it was pushing so much air. It's like playing a bass on a guitar cabinet. You shouldn't push it hard at all with that.