Make my corvette warmer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Nov 4, 2004.

This is a Warwick. I have a warwick, albeit, passive, wheras, that is active. Mine seems very harsh with an Ampeg SVT5 and BBE 882i sonic maximizer. I'm just curious as to how i'd go about achieving that...would it be more of a pickup issue with the MEC's? I'm using TI powerbass strings also. I can get every tone I want but this, so I come here. Suggest away, this is probably my third thread on this elusive tone:rolleyes: . forgive me. :scowl:
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Please, please, I can't resist. Give it a blanket? :)

Ok, seriously, you are fighting against bright woods and pickups. To warm up the sound there are a couple of things you can do. First, you could pick a different string. Powerbass strings are on the bright end of the scale. TI flats might do it, but I'm not sure how they'll sound on that bass.

Another possibility is to use a preamp that adds warmth. Though expensive, a good tube preamp will add warmth. If you can afford a Kern preamp for your rack, then you will have warmth to spare. I haven't tried this, but I have heard of people using the Sansamp BDDI to add color to the sound.

These are just thoughts. Feel free to ignore them if I'm just plain stupid.
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Instead of SS strings... I'm not sure if those are SS but it's my guess, use nickel rounds like Ernie Ball Power Slinkies, I put them on my EXTREMELY bright Ken Smith and they warmed it up significantly to my ears.
  4. I absolutely love this bass. I just wish I could get *THAT* tone. As soon as I heard it, that was it. I'll look up on the Kern stuff. And I'm pretty finicky about strings, they come and go about once a month, never satsfied. Edit: Anything less than a grand? That just bloody costly.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Have you tried doing everything you can do with the SVT's preamp section?
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    How about an Aphex Aural Xciter?
  7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`d suggest trying with a Sansamp BDDI. I had the chance to listen to a passive Corvette with a BDDI and sounded much better. It delivered a warm, punchy sound that was just fantastic.
  8. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    try some Thomastik flatwounds . or if you want to stay with roundwounds, try a set of DR nickel strings.
    a change of strings can do wonders! ;)
  9. What about a Sansamp RBI? I like the whole rack mount deal.
  10. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    I think that the weakest element are the MECs. What about swaping them for Barts?
    I have Corvette too and first and the only thing I would change on the bass is to throw away the MECs. But I use it only as a spare bass so it does not push me too much. Anybody changed MECs for Barts on Corvette?
  11. What you need is a nice Craftsman 1 1/8" open-end box wrench. Like this.

/mods...all in jest...don't ban me...this is all I have.
  12. Who doesn't love 80's models? Now about that corvette...

How about a Sansamp RBI?
  13. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Put it in a toaster, or toaster-oven. Either way make sure you don't burn it, unless you like Ash bodies ;).

14. I'm actually selling my RBI (not actively...but will sell if somebody wants it). It's a pretty warm preamp. Not as warm Aguilar or Alembic pre, but definitely not too bright like the Bmax or Demeter pres. The thing I really like about it is the blend control, which allows you to dial OUT the tube emulation circuitry and still be able to use the eq section.
  15. How much are you wanting for it, and what exactly can i do with it to change my tone?
  16. The RBI is simply a tube emulating preamp. To say it will warm up your tone is all dependent on how you tweak it. Like with everything.

Let me ask you this: What are your controls on the SVT5 set at, and how do you have your BBE set? If you dial in too much 'process' on the BBe, it will definitely remove some warmth from your sound. Also, if your tone knob on your bass is "all the way to the right", you're going to sound trebly and clickety clicky. First and foremost, set every control you have (except volumes) at 12 O'clock. Center out your equalizer. If you have a pickup pan knob, center that too.

Okay. A few rules of thumb:
    Bass controls:
    Bridge pickup = defined but thin.
    Neck pickup = round, warm, but can be unpunchy.
    Tone all the way up = more treble than you should need
    Tone all the way down = dead with no definition.

the Ultra high boost switches should be off. Dial in some mids. Don't be fooled by the 'Boost Bass and Treble, Cut mids' mentality. Mids are where true bass warmth lie. If you can dial in some tubey gain from the preamp without getting too loud, that will warm you up as well.

BBE: I use one, and my process is never above 10 o'clock, but my Lo Contour is often at 3 o'clock. Very warm, round, punchy and defined.

Things get harsh when you overdo them.

To answer the question, I'm looking to get $225 for it.
  17. Keep in mind that warwicks are bright for a reason: german's like bright sound in everything. Even theoir hi-fi gear is bright sounding, like speakers. Remember MB Quart? The EMI records label is bright.

Many of those woods on Warwicks are just plan bright. I would try three things:

1. TI Jazz Bass nickel roundwound.
    2. Modify the pots in the controls to lower value resistance. like 250 ohms instead of 500 ohms (not sure what OEM is)
    3. Boost lower mids, roll off highs on your ampeg. Your bass probably sounds less bright when played live, with other instruments.

I am looking for a flashback fortress bass, because these are the only wicks I thought were not overly bright. I plan to defret it. I don't need "bell brass" frets anyway. They are releatively, cheap, look very cool and feel and play great.
  18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Not to be a spoil sport, but given that there are so many different basses to choose from in the world, why do you want to stay with the Warwick if you prefer a warmer tone? If Warwick is your thing, that is cool, but you might want to consider trading it in and getting something that has the sound that you are looking for.

It is just a thought.

19. Because like I said. I can get any tone for any situation except this single elusive tone. This is just one of many I am in pursuit of. I thought we were allowed to use more then one tone, no?
  20. No. One tone only, thank you.