Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make my Funk the P-Funk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Mar 14, 2002.

1. What effect would you use to get that funky bass sound thats in P-Funk by George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelic. Im mostly looking for some effects to play around with. What would i be best to look at; a wah, auto-wah, bass syth

Im sure this question has been asked many times, but i couldn;t find anything in the search

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

A Moog mini-moog. That is what you hear playing the bassline on "Flashlight".

3. He's right....cop that sound with a EH Micro Bass synth and Mutron III. I use my Korg G5 and two 'Tron's; why have one when you can have two?? Octaver into Mutron is a classic 70's synth/funk tone, can't go wrong there.

4. The EHX Bass Micro Synth gets the best synth sounds in a single unit hands down. Bootsy Collins uses one allot, infact he endorses it. He's the main reason I bought the thing. I'm very impressed by the sweeps I can generate by mixing the voices together. Very classic sounding, you can't cope modern sounds from it though, that could be a problem.

I find myself experimenting with ring mods and filters with a mixer. I would love to piece together a synth from a Mooger Fooger Ring Mod, a Chunk Systems 00Funk, an EHX Octave Multi Plexer, a Crowther Audio P&C, and a Mooger Fooger Conrol Processor.

Tis a pipe dream, engulfed in smoke and bong water...

5. Funny how a few puffs can end up stretching your bank account in such an extreme way. My GAS is so much more manageable now that those other "habits" of mine are in check. I think I should just bite the bullet and score an EH REAL soon.

[​IMG]

Sound bytes here; http://206.252.130.254/ehx/Default.asp?q=f&f=/Bass_Micro_Synthesizer

6. How is the square wave thing on that BF? Does it sound like a buzzy-fuzz thing or well...I don't know what? I am always trying to cop "THAT" sound with a fuzz; anything you can tell me about how it sounds on the Micro Synth?
    Thanks.....

[​IMG]

7. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had one, for a while. then I sold it. i was never really happy with the synth sounds from it, plus since it doesn't have pre-sets you always have to set it up right. It is also a tone hog (not even close to true bypass). I may someday get a Deep Impact.
    The EHX is an OK pedal, just make sure you will use it and that you can live with its quirks.

-KB

9. It really depends on the octave mixing, the basic square wav is more of a distortion and gets crunchier sounds when pumped, it seems to have a stronger lowend emphasis. Mixing it in with the other octaves is really cool, lots of sub octave and origional voice along with some octave above and a tad of distortion gives me a kickdrum/tuba sound.

The tracking is very impressive, for an older anolog design. Wow! But as KB said the bypass is a little bad on it but I don't notice that much. The filter is discrete, more like a wah pedal (resonant filter.) So I recomend using your mutron or other filters rather then the filter on it. I lead my Qtron+ into the BMS and, Squiltch! Classic Moog Synth Sound...

10. Damn...that just sounds like nirvana. I get close to those sounds already with my pedal combo as it is but an EHX micro synth is in my very immediate future...I can see it!
    Anyone out there have one they'd let go for cheap...?
    :D

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    yeah, if anyone has one to let go of, I want second shot at it after Mad Sub

12. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    bagsy thirds!