Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make my funk the T-Funk (oh yeah make that TFB550)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Nov 25, 2004.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Just got to play my new Thunderfunk amp (*) with my funk band last night and it kicked major booootaaayy. Strong tone, and plenty loud. My funk band is a fairly loud band (loud drummer) so it takes a lot of umph to keep up. The Thunderfunk had no problems. I was at about 5 on the volume scale and was plenty loud. I also noticed that for really the first time ever I could really hear myself when I stood close to my amp. I used to use 1600W but this has no problems with loudness or headroom (it is a very clean tone)

The light weight of this amp is great (my former rack weighed around 65 pounds and was a pain to move around). I agree with everyone else that the Thunderfunk sounds good just set with the EQ flat. I did boost the lows a little (but I like low heavy tone). The Timbre control is very powerful and can make your bass sound like a deep dubby style bass or almost guitar-like. The EQ does show everything in your playing as it is very even across the tonal spectrum. The mids show up more than I have ever had in another amp, yet it is not "farty" sounding.

Dave Funk has got a good product and I highly recommend it. The rest of my band (especially my drummer) really liked my tone.

*Oh yeah, did I forget to mention: TFB550 !!!!!
    aka: 500W custom prototype pro-model & 2 preamp tones through a new magic switch on the front of the amp . 1 way is classic warm/rich Thunderfunk tone and the other is a clean clearer tone. I did pay a premium/higher price for this, but it was worth it. :bassist:

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Cool. I haven't had a chance to try one of these yet, but from all the hype around here, I would really like to.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    How much higher? Spill it, what did you pay?

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Not a huge premium, but higher than his std. price for the TFB420. The new features of the TFB550 (higher power and 2 preamp tones) are worth it, yet the amp weighs basically the same. I'd say to contact Dave for pricing info, since this is a prototype model.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    TFB-550 model! Sounds like Dave is responding to the players requesting slightly more power. My TFB-420 has plenty of power for me but you can never have too much headroom. The new pre selection switch sounds interesting also.
    Congratulations! Have to watch and see if it becomes a standard model (or the std. model; can't really see a need for 2 models with specs that common).

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    :D :D :D :ninja:

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    OK Dave! I know that you're out there listening! You know what we want to know! Will the TFB420's power section be able to be upgraded to the 550 model? :meh: :meh: :meh:

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
  9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC

All things revealed were approved by Dave before posting about them. The tones are also correct. One way to switch is Thunderfunk/colored, the other in cleaner similar to EBS (from what I have heard). Both tones are "clean" they are just slightly different. There are not dramatic differences, just subtle. Both are still Thunderfunk. Neither distorts.

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    new tone is slightly clearer. If I am getting the tones right.

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Yeah......to me, it would be hard to really tell the difference between 400-500 watts. Two channels is cool though :cool:

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    yeah differences between 400W and 500W is small, but 500W is more in line with the Aguilar AG500 and the SWR SM500 (and closer to the iAmp600, Eden 500W and Mesa M600). Though I used to own a SWR SM500 an the Thunderfunk is much louder that the SWR was.

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Thats the way I feel! I have a SWRSM400 & Ampeg SVT3 rated about the same wattage as the Thunderfunk, but the Thunderfunk is easily louder than either of those amps.

14. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I certainly think the TF has its own character (which while clean, I would also describe as aggressive) - more so than say the iAmp 800, which seems to be more transparent. My guess is the 2nd channel has less of, or a more muted version of, the TF signature tone - "cleaner" if you will.

But I'm with you. I like the tone just the way it is. And good points about the 500 watts looking good on paper (it already sounds louder than that to me.)

15. KB
    Did you play the thunderfunk through your aggie cabs? Do you think they are a good match for the tf?
    I think from previous threads you used to play an SM500 through your aggies - how doe the thurnderfunk compare to the SWR through the aggies?

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Thunderfunk is played through my aggie cabs and it sounds great. The aggie cabs have a slight dip in the mids, but the Thunderfunk had a flat response so more mids comes through. I am considering the possibility of going to accugroove cabs in the future (whappo Jr), but the aggies sound fine...nice and strong..

I would call the new Thunderfunk tone more transparent probably in line with iAmp or EBS

17. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Has anyone (The Dude maybe?) had the chance to hear the TF's new preamp sound while amplifying a double bass? I'd really be interested in hearing how well this works. I do a lot of doubling, and was considering the focus with a sansamp for electric gigs. I'd much prefer a rackmountable, all in one unit that could handle both kinds of gigs.

18. Walter Woods will do that for ya.. real small too. You probably knew that. I would still love to try a TF550.

19. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I've not heard it with a db - but think it would work well for that - especially with the way you can dial in the sound you want from different basses with the timbre and enhance knobs.

The iAmp and Walter Woods are also considered good doubling amps. For my style/sound I prefer the TFunk over the iAmp. I have yet to hear a WWU.

20. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    any answer?