Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

make my own Graphite Neck Reinforcements

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warnan, Mar 13, 2005.

1. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    anyone could give me some advices on makeing graphite reinforecement? which kind of graphite should i use?

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Do you have a means to cure it? Most composites are cured in an autoclave (oven) and require vacuum bagging to compact the fabrics during the cure cycle.

If you do have the means to cure the fabrics, do you have experience calculating the loads correctly so that you obtain the proper stiffness on the appropriate axis? You will also need to account for warpage during the cure cycle.

If you don't have the means to cure yourself or the mathematics experience/knowledge to calculate the loads correctly, you're probably better off purchasing the stiffeners from a supplier.

R

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  4. Correct. You can't just "make" it because it sounds like a good idea. There's alot of knowledge and all that invested in getting it correct. When it all boils down, the rods you can get, from say Stew Mac or wherever, really aren't all that expensive.