Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make my tone NASTY

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Nov 8, 2004.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey everyone,
    For a long time now my tone has been lacking the grinding punch that i've been looking for, and ive decided to try to help fix it by getting a pedal to give my tone some more grit. The problem is, there are so many pedals/preamps out there to choose from, and I sure as hell cant get to try them all out. Im looking in the 200 dollar range for something that will take my slightly scooped tone out to the front of the mix with a little bit of bite and lots of punch. The kind of tone I'm looking for is that of a rickenbacker or fender jazz through a big tube amp (Chris squire, Paul D'amour, Justin chancellor, Hunter, Matt Freeman), while my rig is a jazz and a SS amp. Im well aware that I wont nearly get this tone with just a pedal, but getting closer to the "sweet sound of my dreams" would be nice. So heres what sounds like it might work for me and their prices:

Sans amp Bass Driver DI $190 (heard nice things and presence control looks good b/c i play fingerstyle but like the tone of a pick)
    Sans amp Acoutstic DI $190 (midrange??)
    Fulltone Bass Drive $180 (saw it at a music store)
    Pro Co Juggernaut $175
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass $170
    Electro-Harmonix LPB preamp $190 (real tubes, looks nice)
    MI-Audio Tube Zone $160 (sounded nice)

Tell me what your thoughts are! I can't try all these babies out so any input would be appreciated.

thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you look at the reviews thread at the top of this forum? Lots of handy reviews of LOTS of od/dist pedals there.

Of the ones you list, I haven't tried them all. I've tried/owned the BDDI, acoustic DI, BAssdrive, juggernaut and voodoo bass (and a good few more besides, see the review thread for the rest!)

I've had good use out of the Sansamp BDDI, but more as an EQ / DI pedal than using the tube/drive functions which I've found to be a bit scooped sounding. The Voodoo bass I found lost low end and sounded really farty IMO. The Fulltone gets a great mild od, tons of gain available on that pedal, and the 2nd channel lets you go from od to distortion and back.

Bear in mind, some pedals sound different with active vs passive basses. There's also been lots of discussion in the past on just about all of the pedals you mention, so you'll find lots more info using the 'search' function.