Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make-over

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 13, 2001.

1. i'm thinking of doing a makeover of my amp..

[​IMG]

the housing is all messy and sticky from beer that was thrown towards us at our first gig ( :( ), and the buttons have a nasty crackle when you adjust them..

so.. i'm thinking of replacing the potmeters, and building a new housing for it.

i'm thinking of making a 60x80x50 box out of 1" thick hardwood, and then glue+nail some black carpet on it..
    Then i'm thinking of making some white-coloured grid in front of the speaker, but i don't know how ( yet )

The buttons etc will be on the front side as well..

A friend of mine told me that i should make a hole in the front, next to the speaker, and put a tube in it that leads to about 4" of the backside of the cabined, coz it will increase low-tones.. i hav emy doubts to be honest..

Got any tips for me ? thanx !

2. buy a new one!! it's probably cheaper and will sound a LOT better than any box you can build if you are not an experienced cabinet builder..some guy's who post here are cabinet builders maybe they can help, but I would buy a new one (thats just me ..I need instant gratifacation) just my two cents worth

3. Do yourself a favor: buy a new one. Building is a serious amount of grief, worse if you are new to it.

4. hmm...

ok..

what's a good amp in the $500 / $1000 range ?
    Preferrably one that can produce quite some sound, coz it's for gigs too...

I prefer a combo, coz it saves space.. but i heard that seperate components usually soung better..