1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Make-over

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 13, 2001.

1. i'm thinking of doing a makeover of my amp..

[​IMG]

the housing is all messy and sticky from beer that was thrown towards us at our first gig ( :( ), and the buttons have a nasty crackle when you adjust them..

so.. i'm thinking of replacing the potmeters, and building a new housing for it.

i'm thinking of making a 60x80x50 box out of 1" thick hardwood, and then glue+nail some black carpet on it..
    Then i'm thinking of making some white-coloured grid in front of the speaker, but i don't know how ( yet )

The buttons etc will be on the front side as well..

A friend of mine told me that i should make a hole in the front, next to the speaker, and put a tube in it that leads to about 4" of the backside of the cabined, coz it will increase low-tones.. i hav emy doubts to be honest..

Got any tips for me ? thanx !

2. buy a new one!! it's probably cheaper and will sound a LOT better than any box you can build if you are not an experienced cabinet builder..some guy's who post here are cabinet builders maybe they can help, but I would buy a new one (thats just me ..I need instant gratifacation) just my two cents worth

3. Do yourself a favor: buy a new one. Building is a serious amount of grief, worse if you are new to it.

4. hmm...

ok..

what's a good amp in the $500 / $1000 range ?
    Preferrably one that can produce quite some sound, coz it's for gigs too...

I prefer a combo, coz it saves space.. but i heard that seperate components usually soung better..