Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make Sadowsky Passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I know this is going to be blasphemous but has any ever pulled the Pre out of a sadowsky and put in Volume and tone knobs? (V/V/T/T to fill four holes)

I'm considering doing this, Sadowsky inc won't even entertain a conversation with me about it let alone offer sugestions

Aj

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    So you called them and they wouldn't even talk to you?

3. Wow.

If you bought the instrument brand new from them and they refuse to this service, that is ridiculous.

4. I know Roger stands by his pre and offers a pull-push passive switch and vintage tone control anyways. It's not exactly V-V-T but it's pretty close. I just think that the pre defines the Sadowsky sound and that's why he probably doesn't want to make a passive-only version.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

This would be the most honest interpetation but yes they said they wouldn't do it.

Aj

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Do many of you sadowsky owners ever play the bass in Passive mode?

The Normal 5 string "Humbucking Singlecoils" how Hot is thier Out Put? Compared to "normal" IE Fralin Single Coils?

Aj

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

No. I never play it passive. I run my amp flat and use the controls on the bass. Best tone on earth, IMO. Why not buy one, pull up the knob, and play it passive? Also, there is Lakland JO's, Fenders, and many other builders who offer passive basses. Roger has a certain philosophy. It has worked for him for 20 years. Part of that is the combo of his remarkable pre combined with wonderful woods, fretwork, and pickups. That is the Sadowsky sound. Anything else would be a passive fender type bass.

Rob

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ok I'll explain myself.

I'm setting myself up to run just passive basses. I'm hoping to achieve a situation where I can switch between basses and be at the same volume level (initially). I've also had experience where the J retro I have in a bass makes a weird buzzy sound some times and I just don't want the bass to go down when a pre goes down.

I'm Building a effects board and one thing that will be on there is a sadowsky outbord pedal that I can use with all my basses if I choose.

You did bring up the main legit question Why not keep it stock and run it in passsive mode?(this is also Sadowsky Incs Main Viewpoint)

You have to Pull a Knob out to put it Passive mode right? The Likely hood of a push pull knob being pushed in and me not noticeing and I switch basses in the middle of a gig all the gain stages are set Bamm! EXTRA bass. Too Likely.

Aj

9. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I see. I used to use other brands with my Sadowsky's. Before I became Sadowsky exclusive, I ran all my basses passive through his preamp, including whatever Sadowsky I had at that time. My advice, pick one up and run it passive. You'll love it

Rob

10. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Um I guess I dont get it. A passive Sad would be like a passive Alembic. It just aint going to work. For me the mojo that is a Sad comes because they are active. Yea the fit and finish is killer but man that preamp is da bomb! BTW, if you are looking for a well made J that is passive I would also recomend the JO Lakland to second the opinion of bikeplate.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Probably be able to ask Roger to wire it backwards so active is out and passive is in, or you'd probably be able to do it yourself too.

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The Reason I'm thinking Sadowsky is I want a Traditional Fender Looking Full Body Five String With 34 inch Scale. Thats not a JO.

I like the Look of the UVintage 5's (wish they'd paint the headstock on a candy apple red rosewood with blocks!) and the sunburst 5 string Pbass they had on the site a month ago.

Aj

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Thats a great idea!

Aj

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    This one, Classy! (except I'd Go Tortice Shell Pickgard)

[​IMG]

Aj

15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hot AJ! I prefer a jazz body but that bass is so pretty

Rob

16. where there's a need, there's a way...

awesome suggestion in its simplicity!

17. Why did you have to go and show us a photo for????

Now I'm drooling all over my keyboard!

18. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    It says somewhere on their site that they will not make a bass without a preamp in it. Or maybe that was here on Talkbass. The man himself will probably step in and tell us. Or Nino.

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I can say they said no to me (but it wasnt roger).

Aj

20. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Have you thought about going Warmoth?