Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Make your own Fender VI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MJB, Jul 13, 2002.

1. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    So, what if you took your garden variety Strat, bought a Warmoth baritone neck for it, and strung it up with Fender VI strings? Do you think the pickups would work OK? Would you pretty much have that Fender VI sound?

Or is this just nuts. :eek:

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Are you talking about taking a Strat body (guitar), buy a Warmoth bass neck and putting it on. Also using the guitar pickups?

If so, then it will probably not work, the neck dive would be horrendus, the pickups would suck etc.

If this not what you were meaning, then I apoligize :)

EDIT: Hmm.. I re-read the post and spotted the word Baritone :)

I honestly don´t know if that would work, but my bet is nay.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I think the first Fender VI prototypes had Strat pickups, but I'm not sure. It would be tuned EADGBe but an octave below guitar. And of course you could futz with the tone knobs as well as the amp EQ.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, it might work :)

Maybe someone else here who has more knowledge on the subject can enlighten us.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Standard baritone neck = 27" scale, Fender Bass VI neck = 30" scale.

It's not really a Strat body, either. It's like a strange cross between a Jaguar, Strat, and Jazz Bass. :)

6. get a start with out a trem you could move the bridge to get right scale i dont see what would be wroung about pickups.if they suck buy new one after.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As long as you're using a guitar neck (which you are) then the pole pieces should line up with the strings. It sounds like you have a Strat, or access to one, and would just buy the neck to add on. If so, give it a try, but I don't think that you will be very happy with the tone you would get. If you're seriously interested in making a Fender Bass VI, give Tommy at USA Custom Guitars a call...they can make all of the parts original to vintage specs. The look, feel, balance, and tone should be much improved over the Strat-a-bass design you proposed.

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The Warmoth baritone neck is 28-5/8 scale, and is designed to make a Strat into a baritone with out any other hassle. I'm just thinking out loud if you could take it a step further and make a Bass VI type instrument using this neck on a Strat body, and yes, I own a strat.
    I'm also not sure if the strings would fit thru the trem.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :rolleyes: Yeah and all the frets too. . .

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out a Fender Music Master bass.

Its the right scale length, and I belive it has a strat pickup.

You would probably have to fill the tuneer holes, and re drill new ones, or add two to the other side of the headstock, and redo the nut, and as far as the bridge goes, you're screwed.

Its gonna be a pain to find a bridge that will work with 6 bass strings and will fitin that small space, although a Gibson style tune-o-matic might work.

Peace
    Nick

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    WOW!
    you really have my intention.
    i have a tele that i could build like this.
    this would be perfect!!!
    now are these strings standard bass strings?
    if so. why not do a string through body like a tele.
    but use bass furrels? and just drill it out?
    man i am so on top of this!

steve

12. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  13. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  14. what you mean. turn a start in to a v1.i under stand turn a start in to a baritone start.but not a start to a v1.the v1 or what ever it is is just a baritone guitar.it would be like buying a shorter neck for a bass it would make it a picclo if you want.if you buy the warmoth neck for the start it would make it a baritone strat.the only diffences between a v1 and what you would want would be body shape and trem.every one i know that has a baritone just uses regulare guitar pickups.

what way are you oing to tune it a baritone can be tuned 3 or 4 diffent ways depending on scale.great write up in guiatre worl not to long ago.

i know a picclo bass can be full scale

15. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Baritone guitars typically are tuned A to A while the Bass VI, EB Silhouette are tuned E to E, a full octave below guitar.

16. i ment with a start body with the warmoth neck.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    STRAT

S T R A T

Peace
    Nick

18. o yeah sorry i typed to fast and didnt reread.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    TOO

T O O

:D

20. I read the whole thing, and understood it all, now what do I get?

Wait, I get nothing! :eek: :rolleyes:

Mike, you would be *much* better off going the US Custom route. It would look, play and sound much better then what you would try to do. Plus it would be relatively hasstle free, and a lot easier to build.