Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

make your own headstock logo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andysvec, Apr 12, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Not sure what forum to place this in, but here it goes:

I'm building a fretless (warmoth neck getting the HG Thor epoxy treatment, either going to go on my original 75 Jazz or I'll get a new body). Anyway, I want to make a headstock logo with my last name, just something simple to put on the headstock because it is bare. What can I do this with? I've heard that you can get decal paper for your inkjet/laser printer and do this? Has anyone done it, if so any recommendations? Any alternatives other than painting it on?

2. I would say photoshop it, and when you're happy with it, take it to a printers. should be pretty cheap, and its always better quality and look than any home-printer paper.

3. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    What can the printer transfer it to? Are these usually water based or rub on decals? I'm not looking for anything perfect, just something decent for myself. Can you buy this type of blank stock online and print it yourself?

4. You can go to a copyshop and make them print sthg on "sticker-paper".

5. I too posed this same question. What I ended up doing was going to my local office supply store and picked up a pack some vinyl rub on letters. Now the choice of fonts may suck, but, it was alot easier, and faster then going the all computer way. Plus, I was able to go "over the hump" with my letters like Fender used to on its Jazz Bass and the older Precision bass. Made sure the head was clean, put the letters down, used a mini roller, and voila! I will post some pics when I get the time, and my bass back from the studio. Hope this helps.

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I just did one for a friend who builds guitars. He bought inkjet decal paper at a hobby store and brought me the design he had come up with. I scanned it at 300dpi, then sized it in Photoshop. Printed out great. You have to be sure to use the fixative spray to make sure it doesn't run off when you put the decal in water. I'll try to get pics from him and find out if he clear-coated over it.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    This is what the guy I did one for replied with:

"I actually sprayed it with nitro lacquer first, then soaked and applied it, then lacquered over it on the headstock. I coated it first with nitro because I couldn't find the spray I had bought at the hobby store for coating. It worked out OK."

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  10. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
  11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

i just did this myself. it turned out great. i had originally used the transparency paper method on Project Guitar, but it looked like crap so i sanded the headstock down, went out and bought the decal paper and fixing spray. it looks a hundred times better.

12. fat-k

fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    Can you really just print it out and stick it on the head? :bassist:

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea but then it wouldn't blend in as much.

14. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    thanks for all the ideas here, some great info for my question

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Another solution would be an automotive pin striper. Have him paint your logo and put a clear coat over it.

16. I've been meaning to post a thread about this restoration.. but anyway...

This was done using the scan-> Photoshop -> inkjet waterslide decal -> polycoat -> apply decal -> many more poly coats + sanding method.

I learnt everything I know using the 'search' function :D .

Anyway.. this was the head stock of the 1978 P before:

[​IMG]

As you can see the finish was pretty messed up & the end of the head stock had been broken off. I was refinishing the entire neck, since the body had already been (poorly) refinished (and so needed to be re-refinished), and the poor finish on the back of the neck made playing.... unenjoyable. Anyway...

This is the finished headstock:

[​IMG]

Although only the "ass" :p needed replacing, it soon because obvious that it would be impossible to make the new section blend into the old. So the whole logo had to be replaced.

I used amber shellac to seal the wood & give it the yellow, aged look.

Finished bass.

[​IMG]