1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Make your own natural finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Nov 13, 2010.

1. I've done 10 different searches and couldn't find anything although I know it's around somewhere.

Anyone ever take a bass with a factory color and do something to get a natural color? Any idea how to do this?

2. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Umm... strip the finish?

3. Not exactly what I mean. More like a natural translucent brown, like a DB.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Strip the finish and then stain the bare wood brown?

5. Tips on mixing to get a certain color?

6. Check out websites about staining furniture. It's the same basic process.

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Are you going for one color, or more of a burst effect? Because a burst will be a whole lot more complicated than just a single shade of transparent brown.

If it's one color, it's just a matter of getting the finish off, getting the bare wood sanded to where you're satisfied, filling the grain (depending on the wood) and wiping on some wood stain. Some stains have the filler and everything built in, so just doing a few coats of it would be all you'd need (aside from a couple of clear coats, which are a good idea IMO).

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    you should visit the reranch forums.

they make great re-fin products, and their forum is active.

one note:
    many solid color basses use less than visually pleasing wood body blanks, as many makers save the visually appealing wood for translucent finishes.