1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Make your own?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pickle, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Just have a quick question. Does anyone here make their own effect pedals/box's? Its something i have always wanted to do having an interest in electronics.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I remember making effects from parts and kits, outlined in a magazine called "Electronics and Music Maker" - now defunct!

They took me forever - months of work - ended up costing more than the commercial products to get right and were incredibly unreliable - kick them and they stopped working! :p

3. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    What is it that you wanna know about it, exactly? I, for one, would be glad to give you some pointers.

My best advice is to go to General Guitar Gadgets and get a kit. it comes with everything you need, for the most part. You'll just need a few of the basic tools.

www.beavisaudio.com <-- the tech section here is really good.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Couldn't have said it better myself. +1

5. I was just wondering if it was possable and practical but obviously it is :)

That is a awesome site btw.

So what effects have you guys built?

6. Bruce ,no disrespect intended but your experience indicates a problem with the "builder" not the product (home built effects). I offer my opinion coming from someone who has been in electronics since the 1960s. With some training ( be it internet based or formal ) and some experience someone could build their own effects. There are plenty of resources available today online from schematics to kits . And plenty of forums where others can help you through it.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I was just injecting a touch of realism there ! So - it can be done, but all the ordinary musicians I have met - not electronics experts - have struggled and ended up giving up!

It's not really a way to save money - but can be a fun way to learn about this stuff! I still have a lot of my attempts in the loft which haven't worked since the 80s...? Along with all the magazines explaining how easy it was! :p

8. Point taken! ...I agree.

9. McSpunckle there is the mastermind behind the Gnomeratron VTF (of which I am one of the very lucky few to own one). Designed and built entirely by him, amazing pedal. I'd take any advice he gives you as gospel.

10. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I do, and I love doing it!

11. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    There's also a club here... ;)

12. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    It's totally practical once you get soldering down. You don't have to be a pro to get a reliable effect from a kit, but it will take some practice.

For what it's worth, even if the kits cost about the same as the bigger brands, the pedal you end up with can be far better.

You'll likely end up spending about $100 on tools to really get started, though. But, of course, you can get away with nothing but a soldering iron, an adjustable wrench, and a wire stripper/cutter.

13. Awesome info guys i think im gonna give this a shot :)