1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MAKES ME SHIVER TO SEE NECKS OFF BASSES !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Makatak, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Is it bad to take necks on/off ?? , Im mainly talking about vintage Fenders so people can take a photo of the manufacturing date on the end of the neck [ why didnt they stamp it in the control cavity or on the back of the headstock ?? ] .
    Some people , particularly musicians lol , arent that good with tools and have no idea of torque etc so it would be gutting to buy an expensive bass and have stripped/elongated holes , burred out screws or unnecessary scratches etc .
    Any opinions on this or is it a foolproof operation ? , Ive never actually seen a photo of the screw threads in the neck , are they metal setscrew inserts or do the screws just go straight into the wood ?

2. On fenders,and most other brands,the screws just go into the wood. Fenders were designed to be able to swap/replace necks,hence the bolt on design,so why would it be bad for the instrument to remove the neck when it was designed to do so?

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    They're designed specifically that way so you can take the necks off and put the neck back on again. Don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. It's not even a small deal.

I once had a guy pull out of a deal for a guitar because the neck had been off during a setup. He accused me of being dishonest by not disclosing this in the initial ad. I told him it was second hand when I bought it and I couldn't vouch for the previous owner's actions as I wasn't with him in the 10 years he had the guitar. He said that the way they put necks on in the factory is different to how the likes of you and I put on a neck and that it affects the tone and sustain.

That guy is allowed drive a car through housing estates where children play on the streets :meh:

4. hahahaha thats awesome. So thats why american made instruments cost so much. Those magical neck fairies are high dollar.

5. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    Clearly you are unaware that at The Factory, four, count 'em FOUR skilled luthiers of not less than 15years each drive the four screws in at precisely the same time. This is all supervised by another luthier of at least 25years. It's a delicate dance, an art that some guy with a screwdriver could never replicate - the result is crazy bad fret buzz, dead spots galore, misaligned necks and the puppy next door never learns to pee outside - it's just awful :rollno:

6. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Ha!

7. Subscript

Subscript Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but on old Fenders you needed to take the neck off just to adjust the truss rod.

8. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    You're just paranoid my friend. I have taken a bolt on neck off 20 times on this project bass I'm working on turning into a double neck, and the screws still hold. They still work. And that's a crappy Korean bass from the 80's. Old, American Fender stuff is made of the best there was at that time.

9. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    It is clear to me now that I have lived my life thus far as an ignoramus. Thank you, kind sage, for enlightening me. I shall never look at a neck screw with the same eyes.

10. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Nope.

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Not at all. The only reason they used maple, for example, was because it was cheap and plentiful.

12. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    As far as I know that is right. People figure other ways to do it, but I believe that they were intended to be adjusted with the neck off the bass.

13. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Im pretty sure the thread starter mainly made the thread because of the possibility of people stripping stuff or doing other damage by removing and installing necks. Of course they were designed so they could be removed, but thats not the concern. Just my thought on the subject anyway. :)

14. Normally there shouldn't be any issues with removing and reattaching necks. But don't forget, there are doofuses out there capable of stripping oil pan drain bolts and their kin may be selling vintage Fender basses on the i-net.

15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    If you take off and replace and bolt on neck a whole bunch of times, you could possibly widen the screw holes too much and do some truly inconsequential damage to the neck's wood. This is easily remedied with some combination of wood putty, glue, and dowels if you want to fill the old holes and drill new ones. It rarely goes that far, though.

Other folks install threaded inserts to the neck holes can withstand repeated screwing/unscrewing, and that would be particularly handy on a neck that needs to be removed in order to adjust the truss rod. You might not want to put thread inserts in a vintage instrument; however, a newer reissue might be a good candidate for this procedure.

Some people like what they perceive as better sonic coupling between the body and the neck with inserts installed; it's a tighter fit and it can change your tone and sustain, perhaps for the better.

As long as you don't try to remove the neck on a neck-through bass or one with a set neck, you'll be fine. :D

16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    We're talking really old Fenders....from the 60's.

Here:
    http://gc.guitarcenter.com/basses/musicman/#videos

in the Stingray5 video, Sterling Ball talks about that and how some musicians would take the pick guard off and route out the body where the adjustment screw is so they can adjust the rod without taking the neck off. This was all on the subject of the truss adjustment of EBMM basses and the "magic wheel".

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's not even remotely a big deal...I'm not sure why you'd shudder at the thought/sight of it.

18. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Ease those screws in evenly with happy thoughts and all is well. A little wax on the threads is a nice idea, too. Once you've got it playing the way you like, leave it alone to settle into its mojo.

19. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    You don't have to take it off, but it helps.

20. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    I agree

And yes, I think people screw up their basses all the time. The good news is that a good luthier can fix most of that stuff with ease, those old Fenders were built like tanks.
    I was told early on that it's like changing a tire:
    make sure the heel is well seated throughout the process
    in x formation get screws close to snug
    then seat screws in the same x form to tight without torquing.