1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Makes you want to grab up that Rickenbacker 4001 C64 before they're gone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Love how the top comment is "F the Irish". It seems like youtube is one giant fight with some incidental videos playing in the background.

2. And the guy saying Mcartney should havedoen more political material? The last thing we need is more talented musicians ruining their art with a bunch of political pop culture nonsense. Even if I agree with the politics, I HATE hearing it in music.

But yes, it makes me want to sell my kids college fund to get a c64.

3. What is a C64?

4. Its an engine code for a 409 chevy made in the Baltimore factory between June and August of 64. THe rarest of the rare. Only used in three cars all belonging to PAul Mcartney's unknown cousin Winky.

5. The Rick 4001 C64 is a recreation of the Rickenbacker 4001 that was given to Paul back in 1964.

The Rick 4001 C64S is a recreation of how his bass looks today, sanded down, with the modifications he had done to it. The Rickenbacker site provides some detail.

Get'em while you can because they are a discontinued item!!

And yes, the 4001 C64 has the wonderful tail-lift (bridge) just like the old ones. A real major design flaw if there ever was one and Rick made sure it was included with this model.

Play on! :hyper:

6. I have yet to experience that with my 4003's tailpeice, but as soon as it starts to happen (when not if) I am popping one of thsoe schaller(sp?) look alikes in. I hear they are a direct drop in and look very much like the original. I generally love BAs, but they don't look quite right on the Ric body. Glad Ric won't change to be honest. Although it seems from your chosen favorites that you prefer wonky bridges in your basses.

7. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Just as rare as that video is seeing McCartney playing fingerstyle. I think he played with a pick about 90% of the time.

8. The new 4003 have the two extra screws so you will not see that type of tail lift. The old ones didn't have the additional screws so in time the rear lifts.

Back in the early 80's they even had an additional two screws. My 1982 4003 has absoluty no lift. With all them screws it's no wonder. However, the appearance leaves just a bit to be desired. That's why Rick stoped putting the additional screwes in.

9. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    The original 4000 series bridges did not lift. They were made of aluminum. Ric changed the base metal to zinc alloy ~72... that's when the lift issue started. You're correct that the issue is still there.

10. Interesting to note. I have only owned my 07. Played bunch of Rics, but not long enough to become any kind of expert.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've had 8 Ric's, ranging from late 70's through an '08. Tail lift on one, and minimal at that. It don't mean nothin'.

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That's why I bought mine !

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I that video the Rickenbacker sounds like a p-bass with flats.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have seen 2 rics where the tail lift was 45 degrees.

15. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Thank goodness..... good riddance to that awful upside-down headstock - maybe they'll reissue it with the right-side-up headstock like the other reissues were and it'll look like a real rickenbacker again :bag:

LS

16. It seems nothing evolks as much emotion as a Rickenbacker, and perhaps a Gibson too! :D

Ahhhh, such sweet emotion. :bassist:

17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I like the upside down headstock ! I went in to buy the natural C64 but it was gone :( , they had a fireglo so I bought that. I was really torn between the two. I suspect the natural one will bring big $ in the future.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I agree about the upside down headstock. Never really did it for me. Other than that, they're the best 4001/4003 type Ric basses currently available. But I'm really beginning to like the 4004 much more.

19. THe headstock is odd, but for the sheer fact of what it is, I want one. IMO it's a little less desirable than the LK or a Chris Squire though.