Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Makin My Own Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jan 16, 2004.

1. After a long search of cabs finding that the perfect cab is near impossible...the closest i got was 5 grand...that was a david eden 2x15 and 2x10......

so ive decided to make my own cabinet....the one cab and its gonna contain 1x15" + 1x12" and 1x8"....hopefully all Peavey Black widow 4 ohm's....btw im runnin a 82 peavey mark III....so what i wanna know what type of wood i should use for the cab and about the wiring...cos i want the 15" to produce bass frequency's, the 12" to produce the mids and the 8" for the highs...if its possible to do this....

i was thinking of putting david eden style vents on the cab as well....top and bottom...

so do i sound crazy or can anyone help me (sending me to an asylum is not helping :p )

the only cab i found was affordable and to my liking was a 2nd hand peavey 1516, i think, it had 1x15" and 2x8"...but when i went to buy it it dissapeared :bawl:
    if anyone has one they would like to sell...TELL ME PLEASE

well, cheers heath......

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It's possible but you'll have to spend a lot of time learning speaker cab and crossover design, and then trying to make the theory work in practice. It will not be easy and will probably end up pretty expensive in parts costs alone.

What's your budget? If you can afford to get a powerful amp, you could get an Acme cab which is the only 3-way boutique make available in Australia AFAIK.

http://www.greensquare.net/acme/home.htm

Alex

3. Those acme cabs look pretty good...Cheaper than eden as well...might have to check them out before i start a mission

4. Eden is the manufacturer, and the David series is the cabinet line you want to emulate.

The top/bottom port system of the XLT series is very sophisticated and requires numerous iterations of build and test cycles to get it tuned correctly. Dual slot ports are a difficult design for the experienced designer/builder, and much more so for the beginner.

If you consider the Eden to be the perfect cab then buy one. As a newbie, you will find building your first one to be very expensive, massively time consuming, and no doubt disappointing in the end. There is a steep learning curve here... do you want to learn to be a designer/builder, or play your bass?

The Acme has a radically different sound than does the XLT series, in the XLT has a massive hump in the mid-bass centered at 80 Hz. To my ears, the Eden sounds like screaming through a soggy wet blanket. The Eden XST series is reported to cure many of the XLT sound woes, but I have no first hand experience with it. Mine is with the XLT.

The Acme is a "HiFi" type cabinet with a more flat response, and a radically different tone.

5. well the david series are nice..ive tried both the d210xst and d115xlt...they were both nice but i prefered the old peavey 1516 which had 1x15" and 2x8" black widows...thats been the nicest cab ive played out of....the reason im not to keen on the davids are that to get the sound i want ill have to get both the cabs i mentioned before which will cost $5000...and at the moment i only earn $15000 a year...and i need a cab asap...so thats why im trying to find another one of these peaveys

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A 2x15 and 2x10 is NOT the ONLY way to get the sound you want. Have you played through this exact combination, or are you figuring this out in your head? There are plenty of outstanding cabinets on the market, and you'll save a lot of money if you buy used gear. Keep an open mind.

7. i played that combination...i even took my kubicki and peavey head into the shop to test it...same with the peavey cab...remember im in aus...there are 3 music stores in my vicinity....and there is **** all around...i cant even get any swr's arounf here...im lucky to find ampeg gear

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Have you played this cab at loud volumes?
    I have heard nothing but bad things about that cab.
    I had a gig where I had to play through one and it sounded like crap. No note definition and farted at low E. But its just my opinion.

9. the shop where i found it had a sound proof amp room...so i turned it up almost full ball on my amp.....the shop had just reconed it to with brand new black widows as well

10. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    I have a peavy 1x15 an 2x8. I would be willing to sell.