1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

makin' the switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Jul 25, 2000.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I play a warwick neck-thru thumb 4 and I adore it...I've been playing about 10 years, and I've had the 'wick for about a year and a half.....always wanted one....I'm thinking about switching to a 6-string though.....gosh darn those neck thru sixes are expensive...anyone played the bolt on neck thumb 6 and is able to make a good comparison? My that Ovankol is pretty...:)

2. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Hey neptoon

Welcome to the club.

I've never play a bolt on 6 before. I find when your getting in that sort of price range you can have someone make you a bass and save a few bucks. I was going to buy a warwick 5 and it was like $3200 CAN before tax. (or close to anyway) I had a guy build me a warick style bass (but IMO better) for $2400 tax included. I saved over a grand and it's the way I want, neckthrough, barts, bla bla bla.

So try that as a money saving option. Well still pricey, but less pricey.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, kewl...was it a local luthier that made it or was it some guy like ken bebensee? Sounds like you got a good deal...and I tell you what else...i don't know what has happened to warwick in the past couple years, but I played some today at a local dealer and I think I would've been more satisfied with Squier P-Bass...nothing like the thumb I have. I don't know if the quality has declined due to their popularity or I just got lucky with mine...so custom is the way to go? I'll have to look into it. Thanx for the advice.

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If money is a big issue (isn't it always?) you might consider going the Carvin route. You can get a neck-thru of good (not great, but pretty good) quality at a very reasonable price. Of course, you can't try-before-you-buy, but they do have a 10-day moneyback guarantee.