makin' the switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Jul 25, 2000.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I play a warwick neck-thru thumb 4 and I adore it...I've been playing about 10 years, and I've had the 'wick for about a year and a half.....always wanted one....I'm thinking about switching to a 6-string though.....gosh darn those neck thru sixes are expensive...anyone played the bolt on neck thumb 6 and is able to make a good comparison? My that Ovankol is pretty...:)
  2. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Hey neptoon

Welcome to the club.

I've never play a bolt on 6 before. I find when your getting in that sort of price range you can have someone make you a bass and save a few bucks. I was going to buy a warwick 5 and it was like $3200 CAN before tax. (or close to anyway) I had a guy build me a warick style bass (but IMO better) for $2400 tax included. I saved over a grand and it's the way I want, neckthrough, barts, bla bla bla.

So try that as a money saving option. Well still pricey, but less pricey.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, kewl...was it a local luthier that made it or was it some guy like ken bebensee? Sounds like you got a good deal...and I tell you what else...i don't know what has happened to warwick in the past couple years, but I played some today at a local dealer and I think I would've been more satisfied with Squier P-Bass...nothing like the thumb I have. I don't know if the quality has declined due to their popularity or I just got lucky with custom is the way to go? I'll have to look into it. Thanx for the advice.
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If money is a big issue (isn't it always?) you might consider going the Carvin route. You can get a neck-thru of good (not great, but pretty good) quality at a very reasonable price. Of course, you can't try-before-you-buy, but they do have a 10-day moneyback guarantee.