1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making 1st bass guitar! help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Hey, i'm making a bass guitar and i was wondering what do you suggest for building the body. do you reccommend layering the wood? i'm not an expert craftsman and my limits are basically carving and sanding. i was figuring of buying a neck from carvin and carving my own block of wood (either maple or some other, still researching diff. types of woods). i was considering alder or poplar. i want a versatile sound, leaning more towards the slap/rock/funk sound

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My best suggestion for somethin rather cheap would be alder...

3. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Check out the "wood theory" button on the lower left side of this page. http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/index.htm It's a start.

Unless you're real good with a plane, or have access to machines, you might want to stick to a one piece body. For a laminated body, a good band saw and a planer will save a lot of time.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I got the carvin neck-thru and just glued the wings on. Making a neck pocket may be the toughest part of the woodworking. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    BA I bridge, Bart MMC pup, EMG BTC Control electronics, Ping tuners.

5. Yeah make sure you go with a Carvin neck. Necks are very complex for a first project. Alder is always a great choice.