1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

making a backplate for a V4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beebassdude, Nov 5, 2010.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    ive come to the conclusion that i'm never gonna find a backplate for my 71 V4, so i need to make one. i wanted to know if making one out of wood is ok or if theres some other material i should try using to make one. any suggestions on how to go about making one? im assuming just a piece of wood would work but i worry about it getting scorched from hot tubes or not allowing enough airflow into the amp.

im sure some of you have built these before so im looking for opinions on how to go about doing this. thanks guys.

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
  3. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    making one is authentic and original? ;)

considering that the vast majority tube amp boxes are made of wood, i don't see any problem using wood.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The originals were wood wrapped in tolex with a metal plate attached where the power tubes were to prevent the tolex from melting. You could go that route just to be safe.

6. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc