1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a bass fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Aug 30, 2008.

1. I have a Spector ReBop 4 that i'm thinking about converting to fretless. I was wondering how much the conversion would cost in a addition to having the fingerboard cleaned and epoxied all done by a professional. A few of my friends say they've done it themselves and had great results but i don't trust myself enough to try and risk losing a good bass.

MODS - please delete the other threads i've made on the subject. It won't let me delete the threads for whatever reason.

2. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    i would love to do the same thing to my legend 5
    that would sound bad ass

3. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I'd go for it... I had my beauty of a Jazz fretlessed... The guy doing the job tried to persuade me otherwise but I dug in... Now my fave bass in the world!

[​IMG]

4. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    i did it to one of my basses, but mine was an 'extra' if you will - a cheap ibanez. turned out great, it actually has a nice fretless tone. its not that hard, i think you could do it yourself. but if you want it proffesional grade, then go to a luthier. its a long drive from maryland, but if you come here to brooklyn you can go visit carl thompson in his shop. im sure he would have it done very well.

5. I have an old Hondo II that is a second bass. I took it to a luthier and had the frets pulled. I filled the slots with rosewood strips (it has a maple neck) and refinished the fretboard. It turned out great, IMHO!

6. How much did it cost to get done?

7. I did mine about 15 years ago. I think I paid about $20 to have the frets pulled. I did the rest myself. The rosewood was scrap strips I got from a friend that makes furniture. A few drops of Elmer's Glue, some sandpaper, and a couple of bucks for some polyurathane and that's it.
    Pretty cheap!