making a bass from scratch!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barks_5_strings, Jun 14, 2003.

1. I'm about to do year 12 at school and for my major Design and Technology work I have thought I might make a bass.
    Has anyone got anything to help me with this task (websites, books, etc.), it would be much appreciated.
  2. It's not going to be easy making a bass, or cheap. Are you planning on actually playing this thing? Some pickups and preamps can be pricey, not to mention quality woods!
  3. you are going to be looking at some money on this one. the cheapest bass to make would be a P bass. you could get some ash and do the body work and then just order a neck from warmoth or something. I have made a body from scratch before and if you have some good tools and a little woodworking sense it is not impossible at all. I would have no clue at all about making a neck though. you could make a jazz bass too but P bass electronics are the cheapest. here are some sites to help you.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Actually... you should be able to bring in a decent, playable bass that you'd be proud of for $250 or thereabouts... First, I woould highly recommend getting 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock... Covers everything from design through wiring, finishing and final setup... Plus an all around great read if you're at all interested in the subject! Also covers several different neck building techniques...

By building with an easily replaceable pickup design, (P-Bass, J-Bass, etc.) you allow yourself the freedom tho build with slightly less expensive components now and perhaps upgrading later... I built the bass below about 12 years ago completely from scratch with limited woodworking skills, access to a bandsaw, router, and drill press... not much else involved other than elbow grease!!! It wasn't the prettiest bass around, but it played and sounded great... Unfortunately, it fell victim to several 'experiments' and is currently in a state of dis-repair... maybe someday I'll resurrect it...

5. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    From your post, I'm assuming that you are from Australia (year 12, etc)? If you are, and anywhere near Sydney, there is some sort of Wood Expo or something at Fox Studios(Moore Park) until about the 22 of June. I don't know but you might be able to pick up some nice wood.
    Ofcourse, I never really know what I'm talking about.
    This post will mean nothing if you are nowhere near Sydney.
    Good Luck.
  6. I would encourage you do it. With some knowledge of wood working you can make a very fine bass. I used Dan Earlwine’s Guitar Repair as a reference and asked a bunch of questions on other forums like the . I made mine a precision because I have one and it made it easy to take measurements when I had questions. This first bass I bought the neck from Warmoth. I have put up a web site that archives the progress of its construction, it’s at .

The “Cuban” came in under $400.00 US but I got the body wood for free.
    Good luck.