Making a Bass HELP ME

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by oak_roberts, Sep 17, 2004.

1. oak_roberts

Sep 17, 2004
    hi every1,
    ive made a design for a bass i want to make, but this is the 1st bass ile have ever made, so as yet have virtually no knowledge of dimmensions or woods ime able to use.

ive thought of using solid English Walnut for the body and headstock, but i dont know whether it would be suitable for the neck....

how is the truss rod secured into the neck? (i am wanting to build everything from scratch), is it layed into it from a groove under the fingerboard?

P.S. the manufacture of it and finishing shouldn't be a problem, i'me an aprentice Cabinet Maker :)
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Read through this forum. By the time you've gone through a few pages, you'll have a wealth of information on how to start, which books to buy, where to get wood, etc.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Agree with pilotjones.

Furthermore, I would not use english walnut for a neck, but then, I'm a freak for stiffness. I know of people who have used it for the bulk of the neck, some 70%, and used maple for effect. With great result. oak neck+headstock and a walnut body sounds like yummie to my ears!
  4. oak_roberts

Sep 17, 2004
    great, the English Walnut body and Oak neck + headstock sounds like a good idea.
    would there be any preference to what kind of Oak, or just any Oak.