Making a bass sound like a guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Serac, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Is the only difference in sound between a bass and a guitar the strings, and the amp?

I'm thinking there's more to it, but let me run you past this idea of mine:

Could you make a bass sound more like a guitar by using guitar strings on a bass, and vise versa? Would it work?
  2. A bass is tuned one octave down from a guitar. You want it to sound like guitar? Get a piccolo bass.

Or an octave (up) pedal and 2 more strings. :smug:
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is the trick I've been hiding for a while. I take guitar strings... usually Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom Light Top, and I string them up on my Peavey Guitar... I usually end up with a pretty accurate guitar sound.

4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just capo the 12th fret? :p

5. Serac

May 29, 2005
    does that work though? It'd be cool to be able to play both insturment sound on your bass and change in the middle of a song...
  6. A lot of the tonality of a guitar is produced by the shape and way a guitar is made, and the guitar strings them selves have less metal than bass strings, so there is no possible way to make it sound like a real guitar, even with 10K worth of midi gear, it won't sound like a REAL guitar.
  7. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Distortion... I have a setting that will make your ears bleed...
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn. I use the same trick. Only, I'm using DR Legend flats on my Squier. I guess great minds think alike.
  9. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Cut everything, except treble, and boost it as high as you can without it getting to hissy. Otherwise, just buy a guitar.
  10. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    with some distortion and an octave pedal i can get a decent guitar sound, but it just isn't the same.
  11. why would you want to sound like a guitar? everyone knows it's all about the lows.
  12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i've used a capo before. granted not at the 12th fret, but yes, it works.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yeah, but it doesn't actually sound like a guitar, because the sound of the bass, especially in that range, is so much rounder/fuller/tubier than the guitar. It might be the right pitches/range, but the sound is incredibly different.
  14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    oh yeah, without a doubt, it would be in the right octave but totally wrong sound.

i thought he meant will a capo work on a bass at all.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ohhh. Yeah, sure. I've actually used 'em a lot in solo works -- capo'd across E, A, and D, leaving G open, etc. It's really fun :D.
  16. The sound will never be exact, even with a capo at the 12th fret, since the bass is a longer scale than the typical guitar (we're talking at least 8-10 inches longer) giving a very different character. But if you want to get close, I guess stringing a 6 string EADGBE and capo-ing the 12th fret might work pretyt well. With distortion on, you shouldn't hear much difference.
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You may get the correct frequencies but you won't get the right tone.