Making a bass string thru body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    out of pure curiosity from browsing through the store today, could you theoretically make a normal bass into a string thru body bass? In my head I could see it being as simple as creating four holes through the body and making the rear a bit bitter to string through, but of course as with all things im sure its more complex, or most likely impossible.. or even pointless, I don't know, anyone?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    As long as you have a bridge that allows for string through, like this, it's not hard. You could either swap your current bridge out for one like that, or drill holes on your stock one.

You would also be best to get some string ferrules, which would be put into the back of the bass. You would have to drill a wide hole the the depth of the ferrules, and then a narrower hole big enough to allow the strings to pass through.

This all depends, of course, on how willing you are to go drilling holes on various parts of your bass. :D
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Based on some rather compelling arguments here on talkbass as to the validity of the tonal improvements that are "claimed" by stringing through the body rather than anchoring at the bridge, I did a little experiment over the weekend. I bought a Gotoh 206 bridge (allows for anchoring in either thru-body or at the bridge configurations) and hooked it up to my Fender Jazz body, which is already routed for a string-thru type bridge. After playing for about an hour (at band practice) with each configuration the end result was that the tone was identical in both instances. I think the simplest reason is that the strings don't vibrate beyond the bridge saddles (I'm sure they do in some capacity, just not a noticeable one in the sense of "tone").

The only point have for this post is that you might end up doing a lot of work to your bass, just to find out that it sounds exactly the same as it did before the modification. Also, you run the risk of improperly drilling out the holes and ruining a perfectly good piece of wood. In the end its your bass and your decision, just be aware of one person's opinion on the subject. Good luck regardless!
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well with string-thru body the strings definately hug the saddles alot more.
    Other that than I don't think there is any real difference.
    It's like having an angled headstock, but for the other end of the bass.
  5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

tonally it makes no difference to my ears. and if you play with high action the string bends more over the saddle and you increase the risk of breaking strings at the bridge due to the increased string bend. i learned this the hard way.
  6. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    if string thru was so much better! all the high end customs
    would have this option!!!! (but) they dont!!! most have strings
    on the bridge! i dont think its that big of a diff. :bassist:
  7. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    ah thanks so much, forget that idea! :D