1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

making a bass without power tools

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by clef360, Sep 29, 2003.

1. feasible? anyone ever tried it? suggestions? well, regardless, that's what i'm doing now (actually i have a dremel, but it's not helping much) The tools i have are: a saw, a dremel, an electric drill with a 1/4" or something bit, and some other hand tools(not useful for cutting wood).

2. Not that I'm a experienced craftman or anything, but I can see myself doing it, only the body though. I'll definitely be using the spoke shave and drawnknife a lot.

3. oh yeah i forgot to mention that i got a neck from ebay, because i coudlnt conceivably make one with the tools i have available :meh:

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There were a coupla Italian guys that made some pretty nifty stringed instruments a few hundred years ago without the aid of powertools. I think you can pull it off! ;) :D

5. unfortunately, i was stuck with using maple for the body....hard hard maple...i think my saw is getting dull, and i'm only about 1/8 done after 3 hours of work :rolleyes:

6. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    What kind of saw are you using? I hate hand sawing and, to me, the saw makes all the difference. Teeth per inch, blade length and stiffness and (of course) sharpness all make the job easier. I think tensioned blade saws were the tool of choice for this type of work prior to the availability of bandsaws. A bowsaw (aka frame saw, but not one of those gardener's bowsaws - not enough blade tension) with a brand spanking new 700mm or longer, 6-8 tpi blade would be a good way to do it. Then saw fairly well outside the line and plane, rasp, file, scrape and sand to the final contours. Once I've done rough cuts, I don't mind hand shaping at all - it's meditative and creates a kind of emotional attachment to the piece you're working. I particularly like using card scrapers, because they're so small and simple and barely feel like using a tool at all. Then again, the airy hum of a 3HP motor has its own attraction...

7. by bow saw, do you mean soemthing like a hacksaw or a coping saw?

8. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
  9. haha, too bad(good thing) i only finished sawing out about 1/5 of it before my dad lent me his jigsaw. it took me 1 hour finish cutting it out, as opposed to the 5 hours i spent on the first 1/5.... power tools are great. Shaping will be done by hand though. Whee!:D